Author Topic: What is SM Paperwork?  (Read 5721 times)

BlueRidgeSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
What is SM Paperwork?
« on: Jun 13, 2011, 10:14 am »
Mod Note:  This topic split from thread SM: P&M:  Gratuitous Paperwork-Rebbe

Paperwork is one of those things I think I missed out on, never having had a formal education in stage management (I have a degree in theatre but there was no SM class at my university so I am pretty much self-taught).  I often wonder what people mean when they talk about all this "paperwork".   :)

For every show, I create a contact sheet with actor's info and another one with the contact info for the tech crew.  I email out rehearsal reports and performance reports (one theatre I currently work with had never had a SM do this before and they were floored when I sent daily emails - and now they require all SMs to do this!).  But that's really about it as far as things I create for every single show I do.

If we have a strong props person/crew, I usually let them handle props paperwork.  If not, I might create a preliminary prop chart and let them embellish/edit as needed.  Ditto for running crew re: set changes.  If there is no running crew (yes, I have done shows where it's me, the actors, and a director - I run lights/sound and there is no technical staff backstage) I will often create a set change list for the actors and post backstage.  If the show is long/complicated/with a lot of scenes, I will also post a scene list backstage for the actors.  Other shows I've found this isn't necessary (like the one I'm doing now, with five actors and four scenes and they are all onstage the majority of the time) and so I skip the scene list.

Obviously I get cue sheets/channel listings etc from my designers and store those in my book, but there is very little I create for every single show. Soo..... what is all this paperwork that everyone else is creating?   :)
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2011, 01:22 pm by Rebbe »

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Re: PROMPT BOOK: Gratuitious Paperwork
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2011, 11:18 am »
BlueRidgeSM - Check out the Uploaded Forms section of this website to see the forms in greater detail. Depending on the type of show, most SMs get a Prep Week before rehearsals start, which is when a lot of this paperwork is generated, aside from prepping your rehearsal space/taping out/etc.

Depending on the director, at least from my experience, they like it when SMs make suggestions for the next day's schedule. To do this, I create a Character/Scene breakdown. [There are a lot of formats for this, which can also be used to help generate a Costume Change Plot (especially when performing Shakespeare and everyone is performing at least 2 roles), among others.] From that C/S Breakdown, I compare it to my Show Calendar, on which I list all actor conflicts, the availability of Dialect/Vocal Coaches, special events [like publicity photos], the Fight Director's schedule, etc. With all of that info on 2 sheets, I can suggest the best selection of scenes to work for the next day.

A lot of times, the acting company will want a copy of the C/S Breakdown, and I tend to generate one that is more actor-friendly that the typical Excel file that most SMs use. Other prep paperwork, aside from the Contact Sheet and Rehearsal & Performance Report templates, are generating Daily Schedule Templates, a Prop List, Preset Template, Run Sheet Template, Line Note Template, Sign in Sheets, Show Calendars, etc. If you check the link above, there's even a link called Preproduction Forms.

That's skimming the surface, as there are more forms out there, but I find it depends on your show as to what forms you actually need. Though a Prop List, Preset, Run Sheet, C/S Breakdown are necessary for every show - aside from your usual Contact Sheet, Calendar, Daily Schedule, Rehearsal Report, Performance Report templates.
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2011, 11:21 am by BayAreaSM »

BlueRidgeSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: Re: PROMPT BOOK: Gratuitious Paperwork
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2011, 08:48 pm »
Thanks BayAreaSM!  I was just in SF last month visiting some friends that had moved out there...

I guess most of the things I've worked on have had a lot of these duties split up to other personel.  The director usually creates the rehearsal schedule and therefore they also create french scene lists (I think that's what it is called?) and/or a character/scene breakdown if necessary.  The TD tapes out the set on the stage prior to it being built; if we are not on stage we are using the lobby or green room or even someone's living room so not really any taping out or prepwork I can do there.  Costume change plot I leave up to the costumers. 

Oh - I guess I do create actor conflict calendars, though my go-to method for that is to print out a blank page from Google calendar and then write on the dates "no Susan, Mike late" etc. 

I also create sign-in sheets but only for the larger shows (i.e. musicals).  There is no need for the one I am doing right now with only 5 actors and 7 crew members (counting myself).  I just count noses and I know we're all there.  And I guess I also do a preshow checklist for myself (test sound system, make sure work lights are off, etc). Maybe I do more paperwork than I think I do!

riotous