Author Topic: That blurry bit between high school and university  (Read 3617 times)

TheatreDino

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
That blurry bit between high school and university
« on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:08 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm from Australia and I have just graduated from high school. I've applied for one of the harder universities to get in to - Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts for a Diploma in Stage Management.  This uni is particularly difficult to get into because they don't normally take in school leavers.  So even though I've had a fair bit if experience as an SM and ASM, there is still a high chance that I won't be accepted this year. However, I know that when I apply again next year, WAAPA will expect more experience. My problem is, I've involved myself in quite a few community productions at the same company and I don't know how to 'break in' to something a little more professional - this is probably because of my age and the fact that there are very few SM jobs to spread around.

It's this awful blurry part between my high school and uni studies where I can SM, but don't have the qualifications or ties to do so. 

Would you know of some possibilities that would help me get more experience and exposure to different theatrical styles, spaces and people?

Thanks!

bkrst275

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Gig: Opera
Re: That blurry bit between high school and university
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2014, 12:55 am »
I would recommend seeking internships at professional theatre companies, concert venues, or other performance spaces. I'm not aware of laws and union representation in Australia, so I'm not sure how much (or if) you'll be able to make money from that, but if that's not an issue, internships would be great for you to rub elbows with people who might help you get into that school, or even better, help you get bigger professional positions.

Hope this helps, and good luck with getting into uni!

TheatreDino

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2014, 08:23 am »
Thank you so much! I'll look around and see what I can find. I've also had a browse through some of the other posts and might see if there's an opportunity for me to 'shadow' a few productions.

Thanks again x

Jonas_A

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: New Zealand Symphony Orchestra
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2014, 07:40 am »
Ashleigh; why didn't you apply for NIDA or VCA? As a current VCA student, I can tell you that most of us come straight out of school with a background just like yours. :)

As for the gap year; shadowing can be a great way to see some really exciting stuff. E-mail SMs - they are often very generous about letting you join them in the shadows for a night. I did this for a certain commerical musical earlier this year; I went out on a limb and e-mailed the SM, a guy who I had heard lots about but never met. He was lovely and his team were delighted to show me around their show for a night.

I'd look at doing some casual crewing. The Entertainment Store are always looking for people like you to do bump-ins and outs and the kind of people they attract means you can end up meeting a lot of cool SMs/LDs/tech/PMs. Message me if you want their details. It's not Wicked, but they pay and you'll meet people. You'll also have a few companies like Lock & Load, Show Support, Staging Connections, etc. - all of these places are often looking for crew and again, it can give you a chance to make some money in the industry whilst also getting to see some very cool shows from a very different perspective. You learn a lot about a show when you bump it out!

I'm not sure if it's the same for the NSW State Schools Spectacular, but the Victorian one takes on interns like nothing else. Look into it; it's a great chance to work with top-notch professionals on a huuuuge project (especially if you like working with kids), and will carry some serious weight on a NIDA/WAAPA/VCA application. Sadly no pay, but if the NSW one is like the Vic one, you get enough joy out of it to last a year.

I'll message you :)

TheatreDino

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2014, 11:57 pm »
UPDATE: So I got offered a place at WAAPA, so it seems that all has worked out in the end :)