Author Topic: Taking notes  (Read 2131 times)

Maddiewins

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
Taking notes
« on: Oct 07, 2010, 12:44 pm »
Last night I went to my first rehearsal for the choir show I am stage managing. He director was saying so many things so fast I could barely keep up wih notes. The show is a sort of show choir show with lots of costume changes and various pieces on casters being rolled on and off the stage. There are around 150 choir members involved in the show. I had a team of parents controlling backstage and he dressing rooms but I am unsure as to how to take notes for cues. It was quite overwhelming. The director has a handy binder with charts of every change which I will transfer into a cue sheet but over than that I'm not sure what to do. Any tips ? Has anyone ever managed a choir show that would like to give advice? Mucho thanks in advance

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Taking notes
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2010, 01:52 pm »
My best advice to you would be to do the best you can to keep up with the notes as the director is giving them and then ask the director if you can set up a time either before or after rehearsal to just sit down and quickly run through all of the set moves and quick changes.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Taking notes
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2010, 03:05 pm »
I would suggest working from diagrams rather than from line-by-line notes, at least while in this phase of rehearsal. You can then refine these diagrams, convert them to line-by-line notes, or do whatever else as the choreography becomes more precise and permanent.

It might also be helpful if you do some triage. As a stage manager, you have several priorities, and they run something like this:
1) Make sure nobody dies.
2) Make sure nobody is injured.
3) Make sure nobody is nearly killed or injured.
4) Make sure no property or equipment is damaged or destroyed.
5) Make sure the show keeps moving in an orderly fashion.
6) Make sure the show is artistically interesting and correct.

Essentially, safety and efficiency always trump art.

If the director is giving you dozens of notes and you can't keep up, focus on the Really Really Important Stuff and--at least for the time being--ignore the lesser information. (For example, you mentioned that your show has set pieces moving across the stage and through the wings. As a stage manager, you should be much more concerned with ensuring that these set pieces clear the stage without colliding with any cast members or other pieces of the set than you should be with the artistic content of the show, so focus on getting good information about these set pieces rather than on choreographic details: you will need to know about these set pieces, while you do not necessarily need to know that the third line goes kick-kick-smile-kick rather than kick-smile-kick-smile in the 27th bar of the 4th number.)
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2010, 03:11 pm by On_Headset »