Author Topic: Stage Manager Unable to Afford School  (Read 2419 times)

mkadkisson

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Stage Manager Unable to Afford School
« on: Aug 21, 2012, 01:24 am »
So I'm a self-trained stage manager with two years of high school experience (3 shows) and 3 years of community theater experience (4 different groups, 18 shows). I was planning on transferring from a community college to the local state university to study stage management but I was not able to secure enough financial aid to make it happen. I was wondering if I could get any advice on alternate paths to working professionally. I live in a city with only one equity house that is very difficult to work at.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Stage Manager Unable to Afford School
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2012, 11:45 am »
There are several threads on this site discussing views on the value (or lack thereof) of college education for a stage management career that you may want to look at.  Does your city have non-equity theaters?  Non-equity venues can be a great way to build your work experience.  If you're open to work that is not strictly stage management (overhire lights/carpentry, run crew), that could be a way to get your foot in the door at the equity venue.

Another path would be relocation.  You could move to an area with more options for theater employment.  You could also look for internships or apprenticeship programs; many are not tied to colleges.  I think there tend to be additional options for short-term theater employment in the summer, some of which provide housing, so that might be something to look into for next year to build your resume.
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)