Author Topic: Stage Manager Duties  (Read 8481 times)

Arturo1223

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: PSM,
  • Experience: Professional
Stage Manager Duties
« on: Sep 14, 2017, 10:59 pm »
Hello, my name is Arturo Fernandez, jr and I am the current PSM of my school's show. I have been told by the director that I am the swing for the three leading roles in the show. I was wondering if this is standard in the professional world? Thanks in advance for your time.
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2017, 06:23 am by Maribeth »
newbielink:https://jrfernandezarturo.wixsite.com/sminfo [nonactive]

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
Re: Stage Manager Duties
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2017, 02:45 pm »
I wouldn't say it's standard, but it's not entirely unheard of, either. Especially if there are no understudies in the picture. Though this typically becomes less of a possibility as you move up to more "prestigious" theatres. I can't imagine a LORT contract telling the SM, "by the way, you're also the understudy."

I've had to step into a performer's role, though only in rehearsal, a few times. And my ability to step in and perform in an emergency has been a theatre's back-up plan, more than once. The secondary stage manager at my current theatre was just informed by our producer that, if our (very) pregnant lead has to step out for health reasons, she'll be stepping in and the ME will run lights and sound.

But the ideal circumstance would be to have at least one understudy, and let the stage manager worry about stage managing!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2017, 10:06 pm »
Nope, doesn't happen to me.....well, not recently.

I worked educational opera for a decade, and one show one singer simply didn't arrive at the school. We all drove separately usually, with several people knowing each role. My boss was supposed to be narrator, and by this point I'd been around for maybe a year or two. She jumped in for a modified version of the show as the mezzo, and I (with a script, per usual for the role), jumped in as Narrator. Only a little blocking, and two parts I had to sing...but not operatically. It actually worked fairly well, and it became a side gig of mine - especially since for that one the "stage manager" mainly did load in/out and no cues during the show. I'd also started off as an acting major, so it wasn't totally out of my wheelhouse, though it had been a while.

As for a union show these days? Nuh-uh. Would have to be in my contract, with a rider, and be paid more. And asked. Though there are several contracts, especially for Theatre for Young Artists (ie, touring kid shows), where someone is hired as an Actor/ASM. They do load in and maybe a few other things, but also act in the show. There are also some ASM/Understudy contracts still around I believe, though a lot of union SMs are really trying to get rid of those.

Plabebob

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Equity
  • Current Gig: Opera North - Ring Cycle
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2017, 11:36 am »
Hello, my name is Arturo Fernandez, jr and I am the current PSM of my school's show. I have been told by the director that I am the swing for the three leading roles in the show. I was wondering if this is standard in the professional world? Thanks in advance for your time.

I'm in the UK so it might be a different picture but this would not fly on any job I've worked on. Standing in in rehearsals is one thing, but stage managers are not performers, it's an entirely different job. I world absolutely turn down a job with a company that thought that was acceptable.

The nearest you'd get would be doing a scene change 'as directed' or maybe donning a costume to bring a crucial prop on stage or so something off. Both of these would earn you a bonus per show by UK Equity rules, but I personally would not take a job that required something like that, my job is to run the show, not be in it.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2017, 02:54 am »
A handful of years ago I went to an off-Broadway production in NYC and was surprised to see the AEA ASM was also an understudy. I had conferred with another AEA member at the time and was told it was kind of the thing in smaller houses. So it's not unheard of, but as smejs said, it would be something that was listed on your contract/rider for an additional fee.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2017, 11:46 am »
The only time I've ever been any kind of understudy was my last show as a non-AEA ASM (more than a decade ago!). It was a large cast and had a swing system for understudies. There were 4 members of the ensemble who did a lot of scenery moving. All of the other roles were covered by either ensemble members swinging "up" or by outside understudies. If one of those 4 was out (or swinging up), the followspot op would cover them (and do the subsequent scene changes.)

However, there was a large, complicated dance sequence at the top of Act 3, involving lifts, and he was not comfortable doing that. So, the backup plan was for me to swing in just for the dance sequence. I never had to go on, but I loved practicing all of the dance steps backstage! Really one of my favorite productions to work on.

Generally though, no. It's not standard at all.

TarytheA

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2017, 07:10 pm »
It seems especially odd to have the PSM be an understudy, vs an ASM. Outside of a complicated system of winks and secret hand signals to the board ops, it would be rather difficult to call a show AND be onstage, I'd imagine...  ;D
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
-Herm Albright

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2017, 09:42 am »
It seems especially odd to have the PSM be an understudy, vs an ASM. Outside of a complicated system of winks and secret hand signals to the board ops, it would be rather difficult to call a show AND be onstage, I'd imagine...  ;D

I've been thinking the same thing for the duration of the thread.  ;D

The real takeaway here for the OP is probably to remember that high school level productions don't and won't (and shouldn't) operate under the same structure and standards as a professional production, so the comparison to a professional production is something akin to comparing apples to space shuttles. 

Major points to the OP for the intellectual curiosity and taking the time to research a professional standard. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2017, 10:23 am »

Not to de-rail the thread...but that is definitely the stage manager nightmare I have had some nights while sleeping. Haven't you?

Imp The Mac

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2017, 01:25 pm »
Only ASM's can perform. If you are the PSM of your show then your focus should be solely on that. Good luck!

Laelius

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2017, 06:00 pm »
Stage Management student asking a question here: what is the purpose of having an ASM perform? Wouldn't they be better off supporting the Stage Manager?

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2017, 11:53 pm »
Stage Management student asking a question here: what is the purpose of having an ASM perform? Wouldn't they be better off supporting the Stage Manager?

In a perfect world every actor would have an understudy and every SM would have an ASM. However, there are situations where an understudy is not an option - either financially or there just aren't enough people interested (volunteer theater, for example). The people who spend the most time in rehearsal, and should know the blocking, prop tracking, the cadence of the scene, etc - that's the stage management team. The show must go on - and you can't have an audience watching a show without a key player, so someone has to go in. Depending on the company and their union affiliation the person filling that void could be an understudy, the director, ASM or a PA/Crew member.

Speaking from personal experience, I was SM'ing a union show, with a non-union ratio. One of the non-union actors had missed his call and was going to be an hour late - and he had no understudy. The show was already 3 hours 15 minutes, so we weren't holding for a minor character. I grabbed a wardrobe team member that was the size and build of the actor that was out. Wrote his lines and blocking on index cards, shoved him into costume and wig and talked him through his paces. I worked with him up to a certain point in the show, at which time the real actor would be present and could take over his role. My ASM was too integral to the deck activities and could not fit into the costume, so the wardrobe person was our best bet. There are only so many miracles that can be worked out during half hour.

BilOregon

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: You're a Good Man Charlie Brown (August) - The Hunchback of Notre Dame (October) - Elf: The Musical (December)
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2017, 01:54 pm »
To add to what BayAreaSM said, I work at a Community Theatre and it's almost 100% volunteer.  We are currently running Jekyll & Hyde.  We had an actor drop-out and couldn't find any older males to come in with just a few weeks of rehearsals left.  The director is already working as the Music Director as well, so I am now "Sir Archibald Proops" and "Minister" as well as SM in the show.  We make it work the best way we can.  (oh, I also don't have an ASM).  I have really good Light & Sound people that I trust while I am on stage (only about 10 minutes total). 

Bil

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #13 on: Oct 27, 2017, 03:09 am »
To add to what BayAreaSM said, I work at a Community Theatre and it's almost 100% volunteer.  We are currently running Jekyll & Hyde.  We had an actor drop-out and couldn't find any older males to come in with just a few weeks of rehearsals left.  The director is already working as the Music Director as well, so I am now "Sir Archibald Proops" and "Minister" as well as SM in the show.  We make it work the best way we can.  (oh, I also don't have an ASM).  I have really good Light & Sound people that I trust while I am on stage (only about 10 minutes total). 

Bil

The real question here is: do you give yourself notes after each show?  ;D
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

BilOregon

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: You're a Good Man Charlie Brown (August) - The Hunchback of Notre Dame (October) - Elf: The Musical (December)
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #14 on: Oct 27, 2017, 12:44 pm »
The real question here is: do you give yourself notes after each show?  ;D
;D Every time I'm on stage I give myself notes.  "Stop fidgeting", "Don't forget your line!", "What is my next line?", "Did you set the brakes on the revolve?", "Focus!", etc.   :o