Author Topic: Script requests: Bye Bye Birdie Script!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!  (Read 27751 times)

isha

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
I already put this on the general board but I haven't gotten anything so I thought I'd try this one.

okay...so I really dislike the format that Bye Bye Birdie is in, and I was wondering if anybody has ever done this show and typed up the script for their use. If so can I have it....I'm a slow typist and I don't trust myself to type it up without mistakes. IF THERE IS ANY WAY I CAN GET AHOLD OF A DIFFERENT VERSION IT WOULD MAKE ME VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY HAPPY! I would like to paste the music into the script and if it's typed up somewhere out there that would work reall well.
^^^^^EXTREMELY DESPERATE!!!!!!!!!

Also, if anybody has any words of advice or suggestions for the show, I would love to hear them. I'm halfway done with plots, the show is cast, and we start rehearsals in 2 1/2 weeks.
-isha
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008, 12:44 pm by PSMKay »
~isha

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Bye Bye Birdie Script!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:34 pm »
Have you explored scanning it into word and then just proofing it?
that is what I tend to do.

I am a big fan of making a script/score that has everything to call the show from.  I dont use a score to take blocking notes unless its an opera becuase I find it makes the blocking script too thick.

But regardless make sure that your script/score combo is notated with the page numbers of the copy that the cast is using.  Otherwise it makes it really difficult.
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

isha

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:26 pm »
mmmm... I thought about it, but my scanner is really bad.. I think I'll check and see if anyone I know has a nice scanner that won't turn things strange colors...thanks for the idea!
~isha

carebear3885q

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2006, 10:27 am »
I was ASM for Bye Bye Birdie last year. It's lots of fun. We worked with kids mostly so it was very difficult. But the sets and props were easy and simple. We used risers downstage of the theatre esspecially for the big scenes. (lots of them). I'm telling you right now, the music will really get to you and by the end of your run you will never ever even THINK of listening to the music again. I had a blast I hope you do to!
:D
Caroline*
Carrie

isha

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2006, 02:25 am »
HAH! The set easy!!! This show is VERY different from how you must have done it

our set designer went a little nuts (he's the director..)

I have my Q-to-Q on sat. and I have no idea how I'm going to make this work, 200 light q's (roughly), 16 mics going on and off constantly, and these massive rolling set pieces that turn or twist or combine to form different locations...all with no crew backstage crew. I have to use the actors which is definetly not something I WANT, but it's a necessity because 1) it's highschool theatre and we don't have anybody interested in technical theatre besides myself 2) there's hardly enough room backstage for the set pieces and actors, without even thinking about adding 2 more people much less the 7 it takes to move the rolling set piece.

I'm really nervous. I don't really feel up to this right now, I'm burnt out from schoolwork, and my last show (which really broke my spirit, everything about it was awful and nothing I did made the experience any better). I'm just so tired and the play has suffered because I haven't been on top of things as much as I would have liked...

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU FEEL BURNT OUT? I'M JUST SOOOOO TIRED. I love stage managing, I'm just so....I don't know. Tired of something. Not in the sick-of-it way but in the burnt out, I-have-no-emotion-left-in-my-body way. I haven't even really cried at all.
Comfort?
-isha
~isha

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2006, 03:12 am »
Break a leg - I've done the show (from both sides) - and no, I don't have it typed it. Too much work for a preexising script. Not interested in doing that kind of work. The published script is fine for me -

as to being sick of the show.

1. take a deep breath

2. Give yourself a break- a real one of at least an hour or two. Find something mindless to occupy yourself - easiest to think physical labor - gardening, the gym, long runs without a phone, something to get your blood moving and stop your brain to give yourself a mental break if you don't have time to take a real one. And plan time to do NOTHING scholarly (even an hour of TV or reading something silly and trashy). Believe me, all that work will be there when you return, but you will be more refreshed and able to deal.

3. find fun things to look for in every run - count the actor tics, note the in jokes, who screws up nightly, what do you and the techs sing together and what you can rewrite. how much of the show you have in your hands and no longer need to think about, etc.

4. know that we all go through shows and/or days that are phoned in, but make sure you have a level of professionalism that gets the job done well regardless. It's a job, and sometimes jobs are boring. We don't have to enjoy it, we just have to come in and make it work.

5. find something to look forward to nightly, even if it's a drink or a piece of chocolate after the show, as a reward for surviving. What do you love to do. Can you do any do any of it during the show?

6. Count off the calendar so you can see progress toward closing night. Name the weeks. Name the nights after each show. Invent awards for the cast and crew. If you have time, bring crosswords.

This is a great opportunity for you to find out what you need to do to stay sane. This is the time. You want to find this out before the first time you go out with your first long-running, 8-show-a-week production and discover, six months in and someplace a million miles from home, that you can't stand it one more night.

good luck (or, break a pencil)

oso_te_great

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 04:15 pm »
I was the ASM for a production of the show that just ended

Since I am going to SM for stage door in the fall (with my hs), he offered to type it up for me

I might send it to you, but since we cut the whole shriner scene, and altered all but 2/3rds of the play, I dont think it would be helpful to you
Malcolm Foster
Seattle Academy Class of 2007
University of Montana Class of 2011

isha

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 10:51 pm »
thanks anyways...and it wouldn't help snce it's over.....but the thought was nice.

yeah, we cut the shriner scene too. it wasn't very small town apropriate.
~isha

self_evident

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: Script requests: Bye Bye Birdie Script!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2008, 01:22 pm »
I just got a callback for the role of Conrad in the new National Tour of Bye Bye Birdie. I've never seen the show. Can you help with how I should read for the character?

Thanks alot!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2008, 01:28 pm »
Be Elvis.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2008, 09:33 am »
I just got a callback for the role of Conrad in the new National Tour of Bye Bye Birdie. I've never seen the show. Can you help with how I should read for the character?

Thanks alot!

Yes.

Think Elvis Presley (with maybe a touch of exagarated self absorbtion.)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
Re: Script requests: Lady Day at the Emerson Bar and Grill
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2019, 04:21 pm »
I am getting the script this week, but I need a score. And they didn't order one. Does anyone have a score they are willing to share? Thank you

riotous