Author Topic: Scholarships  (Read 5108 times)

aherold

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • Lights One, GO.
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Scholarships
« on: May 28, 2012, 11:56 pm »
I'm having a terrible time finding stage management scholarships and grants! I received two from my university, but I am looking to apply to outside one and there don't seem to be ANY. Does anyone know of any? I would love to hear what you have to say, what they are etc. even if they are way pat the deadline... I've still got two more years left!

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Scholarships
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:30 am »
The only stage management "scholarship" that I am aware of is the one that the Stage Managers' Association has, but looking on their website, it appears to be suspended. (It covered the cost of a membership to the SMA,  not money for school).

You might have better luck looking for scholarships that are less specific- maybe one that is designated for students in theatre in general or the arts in general. Best of luck!

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:30 pm »
Listing my theatre extracurricular activities (given I had others as well) on my applications to college ended up getting me the 'presidential scholarship' at the university where I chose to study.  The award mentioned something along the lines of great work in the arts as the reason for the award.

Try using theatre as a good jumping off point for general scholarships that are looking for hard work, dedication, what you learned, etc... People are often impressed by the amount of work a high school student puts into something they love, like theatre, and will reward them for it.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 01:23 pm »
The only stage management "scholarship" that I am aware of is the one that the Stage Managers' Association has, but looking on their website, it appears to be suspended. (It covered the cost of a membership to the SMA,  not money for school).

Just want to clarify that this scholarship was not suspended: it was only funded with a limited endowment.

Travis Blackwell

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • Travis Blackwell, Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AEA, SETC, USITT, University of Memphis
  • Current Gig: PM, Luvas Theatre Company NYC; PSM "Company" Lyric Theatre/TCNJ, Treehouse Shakers NYC.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2012, 01:35 am »
I was not successful in finding many scholarships outside my university.

I was fortunate enough to receive a full tuition scholarship from my department, but I still had a lot of things to cover. The theatre I did most of my work in before I moved for school offered a scholarship for a young person and I was granted that. Other than those two I had no luck finding theatrical scholarships outside of school :-/

Try applying for leadership or academic scholarships. Chances are your leadership skills are very strong and you're responsible with school work. Hope that helped at ALL!

-Travis
Take risks and tell stories.

Lauren

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Western Michigan University Alumni
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager, National Tour of Mamma Mia!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2012, 02:18 am »
Like most others, I didn't receive any theatre-specific scholarships aside from those directly from my department. My best advice would be to think of all of the various skills you have acquired through stage managing and find scholarships that are looking for those qualities (organization, leadership, community-minded, service oriented, etc). Also, make sure you've exhausted the local scholarship scene, especially if you have done community theatre or something of the sort where you can talk about how you've directly impacted the local community by presenting live performing art to the population (Especially note if you've done this for an underserved population). Anything like that that you can emphasize some kind of serving quality is good.
Also, as they have said above- definitely focus on academic scholarships if you can.

Good luck!
"The truth is rarely pure, and never simple" -Oscar Wilde

riotous