Author Topic: Scheduling concerns with my director  (Read 3281 times)

JJ Hersh

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: UC Santa Cruz
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Fellow at Arena Stage
  • Experience: Professional
Scheduling concerns with my director
« on: Oct 08, 2015, 11:48 pm »
I'm currently in rehearsal for a production of Bug at my university, with a director I've never worked with before. It's a 7 week rehearsal process including dress rehearsals, with 15 hours of rehearsal a week. The director tends to take his time with things, and we haven't finished blocking any scenes at the end of the second week. He also hasn't started talking to a fight choreographer. I'm starting to get worried that not everything will be blocked in time, and potential issues with fight choreo and blood effects won't be ironed out before opening.

Is it my place as stage manager to come to him with my concerns? If so, what's the best way to approach it while still showing I respect him and his directing process?
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2015, 12:11 am by Maribeth »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Scheduling concerns with my director
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2015, 12:30 am »
7 week rehearsal process . . .

Not blocked . . .

I wouldn't be too worried.

Not talking to fight director or figuring our blood effects, I would be more worried.

I think the best thing to do is talk to him about his process and time line - when does he expect to be blocked, when does he want to do runs, etc, etc . . . and get a sense of his pace and process.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2015, 12:33 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like you're thinking this might be more of a confrontation (why are we so far behind?!) than a conversation. The best thing is to state facts, "Hi Director. So, right now we have pages 1-4 and 12-15 blocked. Great! What's are you thinking for for next week? Maybe blah and blah as they tie into blah? Should we schedule the fight director for next week? If we block through 30, we'll cover that section," etc. Just calm, knowledgable and helpful.

Also, do you have a production manager/producer/department head who can prod him about scheduling? I've run into this quite a few times, where wires are crossed and no one knows who's supposed to talk to and schedule someone.

mikayla.contreras

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2015, 07:41 pm »
I understand the time-crunching stress, but in my experience (in stage management, classes, and businesses) if you have any concerns, you should schedule a time to meet with the director and relay those concerns. The director will respect you even if you are concerned. They will respect that you had the courage to talk to them about it.

riotous