Author Topic: Resume  (Read 4024 times)

ERudin

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
Resume
« on: Sep 27, 2011, 08:00 pm »
Hello! I am an actress who has just begun stage managing. I have a resume that I use when auditioning for roles in plays, but should I have a separate resume when applying to be a stage manager? What is the difference between a stage manager's resume and an actor's resume? Thanks!

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Resume
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2011, 11:34 pm »
Hi!

I highly recommend using the search box in the upper right corner to find some really great topics covering Resumes. Just type "resume" into the search box and a massive list will pop up. Also, you should be able to go to the Resume Browser and view all submitted resumes, so that you can see the difference.

However, for your first question, the answer is YES - always separate your acting from your stage managing. There are several people out there that feel if you have too many other things on your SM resume, it shows that you're unfocused.

Best of luck in your search!

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2011, 02:07 am »
As I see you're in high school (or at least that's your level of experience listed) I would actually recommend the opposite of what BayArea suggested. For now.

Before I had enough credits as a stage manager switching from acting, I listed shows I had been cast in under a heading I called "related experience." I also included all manner of technical theater positions I held under that heading too. It shows you aren't just jumping into the theatrical pool randomly, and you did come from somewhere. After about a year of stage managing, I was able to drop acting from my resume, and after two years I dropped the "related experience" heading entirely.

It is a crap-shoot for the reasons BayAreaSM brings up, but if you literally have no credits, or only one or two credits to your resume, I feel like that is more of a turn off to employers than having a handful of acting credits below whatever SM credits you have.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2011, 10:40 am »
As I see you're in high school (or at least that's your level of experience listed) I would actually recommend the opposite of what BayArea suggested. For now.

I agree -- whether you are in high school or not.  I had literally a handful of SM-type credits (a season apprenticing Off Broadway in an EMC program, a season-plus as the PM/sometimes PSM at a non-union regional, and one, maybe two, 2nd ASM credits Off Broadway) to supplement the 20 or so directing credits and some oddball tech and acting credits I had accumulated over the years when I applied and was hired for a touring position with Theatreworks/USA.  And I was long, long past high school...

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2011, 12:05 pm »
"There are several people out there that feel if you have too many other things on your SM resume, it shows that you're unfocused."

As one who is a strong advocate for a stage manager having a stage manager ONLY resume, there are times when having a resume that has other credits on it can be a huge selling point.  This is what is great about having a computer and be able to update and customize a resume on the fly.

1) When you are just starting out or transitioning into stage management - showing you have other theatrical experience, or related experience will help fill in the gaps of your resume.

2) When you are applying for a "stage management / something else" position - sometimes touring or a specific project will want the SM or ASM to pick up some other duties, and customizing your resume for what the job is requesting.

3) IF you feel like you have special skills that will help you stand out - you know will yourself and how to sell yourself best.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.