Author Topic: Preset before performance  (Read 10282 times)

Craig SM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: SM - Aladdin
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Preset before performance
« on: Feb 01, 2011, 12:40 pm »
has anyone got a set of duties to execute before the performance, i have already got mine but i was wondering how other SM'S do theirs.
Craig Carter
Stage Manager
Aladdin - December 2018
Sister Act: The Musical - June 2019

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Preset before performance
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2011, 01:25 pm »
My preshow list is longer than most, I think, because I am the only crewmember on my show- I am the light & sound board op, and there's no run crew backstage, so my preshow also includes turning on sound equipment, sweeping & mopping the deck, prepping food, etc. I have a hard copy of the list in my book, but I got an iphone for Christmas and I've been using a to-do list app as a checklist for pre- & post- show duties, and it's been really helpful not having to carry a clipboard around while I do my presets.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

cserendipity

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Prime Stage Theatre
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2011, 03:04 pm »
I never thought of using my cell phone for checklists.  That's a great idea! 
If Plan A didn't work... the alphabet has 25 more letters.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2011, 10:13 pm »
I used to carry around my laptop when I was working in summer stock where there were no printers available for weeks at a time. That was....awesome? I love smaller portable technology!

Preshow check lists vary from show to show. Some shows absolutely need to have the stage swept and mopped before hand, others require nothing of the sort. If you have a show that requires a live gunshot onstage, its best to test the gun before hand with your props person (or yourself) to insure the safety and functionality of the weapon. One of my preshow checklist items when I was touring was to make sure I went back to the bus to change into black socks, but I don't need it now that I've stopped touring.

I'll say that safety should always be on a check list: running lights, glow tape charged, padding secured and things of that nature. Safety should always be on a preshow check list. Otherwise, checklists vary by the needs of the production.

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:55 pm »
I agree that safety is non-negotiable for me and otherwise I let my preshows reflect the current show. However, I tend to err on the side of a LOT. I like to have every single preshow duty on the list including those of the crews and my asms. I then denote who does what. I divide my to do list by time half hour, fifteen, etc as makes sense for the production, and then at each of those increments I make sure everyone is on track. I also like to use plastic sleeves so i can check off in wet erase markers and then erase and reuse. That way I can write in what time half hour, for example, is for the performance I'm prepping for. I'm pretty intense about preshow, but I tend to hold myself accountable for everything no matter whose 'job' it is.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:54 am »
I like to have every single preshow duty on the list including those of the crews and my asms. I then denote who does what. I divide my to do list by time half hour, fifteen, etc as makes sense for the production, and then at each of those increments I make sure everyone is on track.

That sounds c-r-a-z-y.

I suspect you will have to adjust if you ever get to work with professional crews (if you don't want to find yourself hung from the fly rails...)

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2011, 11:38 am »
While I agree with Scott, that Bwoodbury's system may prove over-reaching further down the road, I must admit that I like the idea of using a plastic sleeve and wet erase markers. One of my least favorite things about pre-show checklist is the checklist format -- either I have to use a new piece of paper every day (and kill trees) or I have to use a chart and mark things off in a column (which can get messy, disorganized, and leaves little room for notes that should get transfered to a report later).
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

Craig SM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: SM - Aladdin
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:18 pm »
Thanks Very Much Folks!
Craig Carter
Stage Manager
Aladdin - December 2018
Sister Act: The Musical - June 2019

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:54 pm »
If I'm working with a crew I know well (or once I am a few days into a run and know what to look for), I'll often stop checking so closely. I like to have the option to check everything and a lot of the gigs I do now are one offs or tours with interns, so I don't always get to get into that groove.

LizzG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: First National Tour
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:02 pm »
I try to be green where ever I can - theater is a wasteful business, especially touring and especially my show!  So along the idea of Bwoodberry, I laminate my preshow checklist (it's one legal sized paper) and then use a dry erase to check items off as I go!

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2011, 01:18 am »
LizzG -- How/where do you laminate your checklist?

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2011, 01:46 am »
LizzG -- How/where do you laminate your checklist?

Not that I'm LizzG, but the way I do mine is buy a bunch of page protectors designed for three ring binders. those work well and are cheaper than self laminating pages (and you are less likely to screw it up and waste the lamination paper and the actual paper).

I am so glad more people are working towards using less paper. I was shocked when I worked with a cast in New York who were blown away when all my callboard/checklists were reusable. They had never seen it before.

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2011, 02:20 am »
Most of the shows I do have only about 10 performances, so for these I have a table along the left of the checklist, with a column for each performance. I print this onto slightly-thicker-than-normal card, and then affix it to the back of my notebook!

For longer shows I laminate. I'm from the UK, and so I don't know if it is the same across the pond, but laminators and laminating paper is readily available (and quite cheap) over here. Staples, Rymans and WHSmith usually have some sort of offer on. I got my laminator for £20 (about $32) a couple of years back, and 50 sheets of A4 (8.3"x11.7") laminating paper was about £8.50 ($13) the last time around.

C

EDIT: Spelling!

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:36 am »
I think using 3ring page protectors is the ultimate in reusability. Not only can you use the dry erase method to save paper, but when the show is over (or you are forced to change your checklist for some strange reason) you can pull the paper out and reuse the sleeve.

jNehlich

• New to Town
  • Been in this town since 2006...so not* new to town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: AEA SM
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:29 pm »
You can also purchase "snap-in" sheet protectors, if you don't have the time (or money) to laminate lists. These easily pop out of a binder without opening the rings (and back in as easily). This could be helpful if you work with a rotating crew or if you like to use a clipboard during preshow checks.
-JN

riotous