Author Topic: Potential for issues with ASM  (Read 3769 times)

clpeek

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Casey L. Peek
  • Affiliations: Illinois State University
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Potential for issues with ASM
« on: May 27, 2010, 04:46 pm »
So I am very new to the field of stage management (i only recently switched my major and was given a title of SM).  My first full-length stage management job is for a show in our thrust space. 

Since, I am in an academic setting my assistant stage manager is chosen for me and assigned the task.  However, I am somewhat worried because the ASM that I was assigned was the stage manager for my director this past semester.  There have been occasions (mostly noted from colleagues) that it was brought to my attention that this could produce some sort of a problem.  I was wondering if this is even a case for worry? 

I have talked to my professor about it, but I would very much like to hear what some of your ideas are.  Is it necessary for me to say anything to my ASM?  Or is there anything I should do to prepare in case it becomes an issue? 
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2010, 12:52 pm by clpeek »

damjamkato

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
Re: Potential for issues with ASM
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 05:50 pm »
I have been in a situation similar to this and I found that the best thing to do was to was just casually go over the responsibilities that the ASM is going to have, and the responsibilities that the SM is going to have.  Clarifying the boundaries of who does what could help him realize that he is not the one in charge, and that he will be doing a different job.  It should just appear as a friendly reminder, but it can go a long way.

Also, writing up a hard copy of the responsibilities will help "set in stone" what each of you are doing, and hopefully persuade him to do his job, not yours.

Tynumber5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 06:21 pm »
I'd also suggest asking the ASM for help if you need it. I was recently in a situation similar to yours, except that I was the ASM. I was working with a stage manager who didn't know what they were doing and they didn't ask for help. All I could do was my job as ASM because I didn't want the stage manager to think I was trying to take her job.

But totally talk with your ASM and go over the ASM's job and the stage manager's job. That will help clarify for both of you what you are going to be doing.
"We have three kinds of family. Those we are born to, those who are born to us, and those we let into our hearts."

ArrieTucker

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Stephen F. Austin State University, Texas Shakespeare Festival
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 10:42 pm »
I'd say to consult and respect the person serving as your ASM for his/her experience.  Make him/her feel respected and he/she will work very hard for you.  You'll have to be careful though, you are still the SM, so it is your ass on the line if things don't get done correctly, remind him/her of that if there is an issue. 

Also, remember you are in an academic setting, let the faculty know if there is a serious issue, at the very lest it will cover your butt. 

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 12:13 am »
I feel sad for last year's SM, cuz if they think they have nothing to learn or teach, and can't do it unless he's in charge, he will never learn anything nor work more than once in a professional situation. Sad.

For your sanity, you may want to bring him as a partner - that is, "hey, you were the SM last year, I appreciate your being my support so I can learn, thanks for being someone I can ask qqs of while I do my job and am the central figure/single voice from the team"

but make sure you stay the central voice, and make sure your profs know this attitude issue, since you don't need sabotage. You need to find your own voice, your own style - and most good SMs learn/steal from those they work with, plus lovely when you find someone with whom you team well

I have truly enjoyed ASMing, most recently to someone returning to SMing who needed someone who cd whisper in his ear and/or make sure things got done without needing to be the pin - frankly, kinda nice to be able to hand off things like the nightly report - 

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 12:29 pm by loebtmc »

clpeek

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Casey L. Peek
  • Affiliations: Illinois State University
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 09:35 am »
Thank you all a bunch.  I definitely will be typing up a list with the different responsibilities!  I know I will be asking a lot of questions and I won't be afraid to ask him even though we are both new. 

Again, thanks so much.

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 05:31 pm »
Also, don't get too hung up on the Assistant part of the title.  While it's traditional, it doesn't necessarily translate as "Assistant Director" or "Assistant Producer", which are much more of a subordinate position. 

ASM is like the A2 for sound.  They may be as technically advanced and experienced as the Sound Board op, but their job is to be onstage and deal with microphone or monitor issues.  The ASM is more of a Deck Stage Manager than an assistant, and a really qualified stage manager on deck is a gift to any Stage Manager.  Think of the two of you as the Stage Management team, with equal and different responsibilities, and approach the ASM with that in mind.

Just my 2 cents worth!  Discard if it doesn't make any sense.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

juliz1106

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: TYA Stage Manager, Marriott Theatre Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2010, 02:34 pm »
I agree wholeheartedly with Heath on this one. 

Starting out as a young stage manager, I would often end up as an ASM, and my skills would not be utilized fully.  As in - the older SM assumed I didn't know anything because of my age, and did most of my work for me.  I soon decided that that the *team* aspect of Stage Management team would be my goal - always.

Whenever I have an ASM, I try to encourage that person to ask questions, help wherever is appropriate, and have an open dialogue with me.  You never know what skills people will bring - even if that person has never done this before - they could have been sewing since they were five, or happen to have a background in furniture construction.  I *never* assume that my ASM is a subordinate position, because it isn't, and making someone feel subordinate never helps get things done.

I think that in your specific situation - where it's rumored that your ASM might have a chip on their shoulder about being ASM again - it might in fact be *most* helpful to view this as a team.  The posting you saw about working "under" someone shouldn't affect you - the ASM doesn't work under the SM, the two work together.  Approach your ASM as a team member, where each of you have different but *equally* crucial roles, and it will only help boost your ASM's confidence, and your own.  The best SM's work well with people, and if you can work well with this person, knowing there is a potential conflict, you've already gotten pretty far with learning what it is to be a Stage Manager.