Author Topic: Please Help Me  (Read 7396 times)

damjamkato

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
Please Help Me
« on: Oct 09, 2008, 10:41 pm »
I'm a freshman in high school, and my school is putting on Thoroughly Modern Millie.  I was asked to stage manage by the president of the school, who is directing the play.  I already have stage-managed 2 productions when i was in 7th and 8th grade, and i already know the basic gist of it.

I was just wondering about some things. 
Since I'm only a freshman, all of the upper class men who are in the cast sometimes don't listen to me or ignore me.  What should i do?

Also, i'm not sure where i should call the show from.  The theatre the high school uses is the same one the middle school uses.  when i was in 7th and 8th grade, i called the shows from the booth, which isn't that far away from the stage.  One night, my ASM couldn't make the show so i had to call it from backstage.  There was a lot of running crew cues in it, and it was completely different giving the cues from backstage as compared to the booth. there is no camera to backstage, so i can't see whats going on onstage.  What should i do.

Also, if you have any suggestions, please tell me.

Thanks

SM.Robert

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help Me
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2008, 12:11 am »
Hi there!
I’m a Sophomore in HS and started half way through my freshman year... I follow the "My way or the highway" and I don’t have allot of problems, but I try not to let it get to that point. If you respect your cast, your honest and consistent you will eventually figure it out. The first show I did it was a little rocky at first but you eventually get the hang of it! My cast, tecs and director respect me and that’s the way it has to be! My director has always given me allot of responsibility and makes the cast know that I’m in charge and they respect that. Until recently I had problems with the other Technicians thinking that they could walk over me and they have eventually learned that they cant, its something that takes time.

I don’t typically call the show as my Director does but I do call cues from back stage as I don’t have an assistant (And don’t want or really need one). Our theater has monitors throughout which makes things easier but it can still be difficult. If you know you are going to backstage and I would put a camera in the house/ cats and run a wire down to a TV. If you have a video camera or any camera with an output, tv and wire you can do it with little problems.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me!

damjamkato

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2008, 07:01 pm »
Oh, one more question.

In the theatre at LaSalle (my school), there is absolutely no way to have a video monitor of the stage.  The only way to figure out what is happening onstage is the audio monitor with the speaker backstage.  The only way to see is to stick your head out of the curtains, or try to get whoever is in the booth to tell you whats happening.  Usually, the Technical Director will give the light cues, and the sound operator will either do it by themselves or have the stage manager call it.  the booth isn't that far away from the stage, and because it is a thrust theater, you can get a great view of the stage from the booth.  There is plenty of room in the booth, and i fell more comfortable calling from there.  Is that where i should call from?

Thanks

SM.Robert

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2008, 11:53 pm »
Ya... If you dont need to be backstage then be in the booth! I personally would rather be in the booth during the show!

nystagemanager26

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2008, 06:14 pm »
Call from the booth if need be.  If you must call from backstage, position the call desk so you can see at least from the fire pocket downstage.  Ask the set designer/head carpenter to think about where a good place might be in case your asm is out.
Is there a jump?  Position the call desk there -- and again try to place it where you can see the action and not be seen yourself.

As for getting the cast to listen, just be authorative.  It doesn't have to be "my way or the high way," but you need to be the voice of authority.  Talk to the director to get him/her on your side.  Start a fine system with the money going toward extra treats for opening night.  How would you get little kids to listen?  Try anything you think might work but remember, in the end they have to listen to you.

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2008, 12:52 pm »
In terms of calling the show, if you feel more comfortable in the booth and have a good view of the stage, that's what you should go for in my opinion. It should be whatever works best for you and is the most practical.

For the cast, something I find that shows an equal balance of authority and friendliness is to organize some sort of snack shedual for those involved with the rehersal process. Depending on how many people/rehersal days you have, try arranging it so everyone brings in a snack  one or two times. I find it not only shows them you're organised, but it's also lots of fun for them to get food.  ;)

captaincutlawn

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2008, 03:27 pm »
Food is great, especialy during tech week. Keep in mind of allergies, I had an incident once...

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2008, 02:12 pm »
Sit in on the booth if you can. It really will help.

nathanchrist

• New to Town
  • Cue!!! Freakin' Cue!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2008, 05:03 am »
If you don't have an ASM backstage to conduct the affairs on stage, you might NEED to be on stage in order to keep the production efficiently and safely. If you do have an ASM backstage, use the booth to call the show. As for authority, you should ask your director to ''pass the torch'' per say. The director needs to let the cast and crew know you are in charge and responsible for some of the shows aspects. It has always worked for me. Good luck in your SM endeavors. :-)
Cue!!! Freakin' Cue!!!

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2008, 11:08 pm »
Definately get the director and other members of your team behind you as Nathan suggested, if the actors see them respecing you they're more likely to do the same. Good luck!

riotous