Author Topic: Picking a New Stage Manager  (Read 7222 times)

damjamkato

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
Picking a New Stage Manager
« on: Dec 07, 2008, 02:02 pm »
I am in charge of picking, training, and guiding a new stage manager through their first production.
I am in the high school, and the middle school is putting on Aesop's Foibles.  What are some good qualities to look for?  They would either be in 7th or 8th grade, and I really don't know that many people in the middle school.  How do you think you could tell if someone will make and ok stage manager?

Thanks,
Dan

sarahbear42

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Picking a New Stage Manager
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2008, 09:01 pm »
The things that come to mind first are responsibility/punctuality, organization, good people skills (not necessarily being Mr./Ms. Super Friendly but rather being the kind of person who can get along and work well with everyone) and someone who is comfortable both leading and being led.

Of course, the most important thing at that level I would think would be finding a kid who understands the basic premise of what an SM is, and who wants to try it.

yoyomankind

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT, Phi Kappa Psi, SMA
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2008, 09:53 am »
At that age I would say the most important thing to look for would be someone responsible and willing to learn

nathanchrist

• New to Town
  • Cue!!! Freakin' Cue!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2008, 02:37 pm »
*Someone who makes decisions for the whole of the group instead of making one person happy.

*Someone who enjoys problem solving. Ask them if they like math. Usually if they like math, they like problem solving.

*Someone who values safety.

*Someone who likes people.
Cue!!! Freakin' Cue!!!

smccain

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Stage Managing Life
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: I am the PSM for Theatreworks USA's national tour of Charlotte's Web.
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2008, 05:25 pm »

*Someone who enjoys problem solving. Ask them if they like math. Usually if they like math, they like problem solving.

I disagree with this. I HATE math with a passion, but I love problem solving.
Sean

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2008, 07:16 pm »

Same here. I am quite good at problem solving, but I don't equate it with math because some problems require recreativity and flexibility....math doesn't allow for that kind of problem solving.
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2008, 11:20 pm »

Same here. I am quite good at problem solving, but I don't equate it with math because some problems require recreativity and flexibility....math doesn't allow for that kind of problem solving.

I agree with smccain. I think at that age, you should look for someone who is well organized, down to earth/calm under pressure, and willing to learn.  I find the best qualities in myself and the people I work with are how calm one can stay under pressure and how efficiently you can run a production from start to finish.

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:39 pm »
Someone involved and with lots of enthusiasm. The job takes so much work that at that point you really have to be ready to invest quite a bit without knowing exactly what you're getting into.

nathanchrist

• New to Town
  • Cue!!! Freakin' Cue!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2008, 03:03 pm »
all I was saying is that math is one of the most basic forms of problem solving. Usually if someone is good at math, they are good problem solvers. That's all.
Cue!!! Freakin' Cue!!!

Grayson

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2009, 01:49 pm »
You should maybe talk to students teacher, see who he or she thinks would be a good fit.

Wandering Ninja

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2009, 10:59 pm »
You might want to consider if the crew/actors will listen to the person who is the SM.
"Nothing worthwhile was ever accomplished without the will to start, the enthusiasm to continue and, regardless of temporary obstacles, the persistence to complete" Waite Phillips