Author Topic: Paperwork: Portfolio?  (Read 5719 times)

MeganTrigg

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-sunset.com/
  • Affiliations: SMA, EMC
Paperwork: Portfolio?
« on: Mar 14, 2006, 01:52 pm »
I'm applying to a few internships and apprenticeships in anticipation of graduating this May. Since most of them have a general application for all areas, some request a portfolio or writing sample as appropriate for the internship you're applying for. Which would be appropriate for a stage manager? If it would be a portfolio, what would I include? I've put together art portfolios before (almost went to art school instead), but I'm completely lost as to what would go into a stage management portfolio. Or am I completely off base and those are things I don't have to worry about because they're meant for the administrative and design apprenticeships/internships?

I'm very confused and feeling rather lost. Advice?
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008, 12:43 pm by PSMKay »

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Portfolio?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2006, 04:52 pm »
Contact the internship.  Ask them what they expect from a stage manager.  "Portfolio" I would think would be for a designer. "Writing Sample" I would guess is for a playwright or a grantwriter/marketing or dramaturg internship.  The thing that would make the most sense, if I were in your shoes, would be to give three letters of recommendation - but the only person who can answer your question is the person evaluating these applications.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

MeganTrigg

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Portfolio?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2006, 05:14 pm »
Thank you. It helps a lot to know that my perceptions aren't crazy. I'll add phone calls to my list of things to do this week. Thanks!

jazminhupp

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Web Site
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2006, 11:54 pm »
I don't know if you have any friends that do web design but I think on-line portfolios will be the way to go if you can.  That way you can send the link to anyone and you don't have to pay any printing costs.  Look into it.  If it looks pro, they'll think you're pro too.

MeganTrigg

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Portfolio?
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2006, 11:59 pm »
Actually, I do web design myself, so that part isn't an issue (although my art portfolio is horribly out of date - I ought to fix that eventually). The concern is more along the lines of what to put in it.

After I get it all sorted out, I plan to set up a section of my site with my resume & contact info. Website is currently in flux, though. I'm willing to do basic coding work for others if they're interested, too.  Which would probably be a lot more appealing of an idea if my design portfolio were up to date.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Web Site
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2006, 12:20 am »
Quote from: "jazminhupp"
I don't know if you have any friends that do web design but I think on-line portfolios will be the way to go if you can.  That way you can send the link to anyone and you don't have to pay any printing costs.  Look into it.  If it looks pro, they'll think you're pro too.

A web portfolio is great - I agree. HOWEVER you also need a hard copy portfolio. As a general rule, when someone submits an application via email, all attatchments should be sent in PDF format (this makes sure it looks the same on every system it is opened in) and the portfolio hosted online, however at the interview, a much more polished portfolio should be presented, bound in a nice folder, printed on good quality paper etc. I know when I have applicant that I am interviewing, whilst I print out the CV and coverletter, I NEVER print the portfolio, however I do take notes of questions to ask. No portfolio with you at the interview, means I am most annoyed, and could mean no job.

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
portfolio review
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2006, 12:37 pm »
When I was at undergrad - portfolio review was a required class for tech theatre majors.  When it was my turn to take it, they ran into the stumbling block that I had spent my 4 years stage managing, and while I had plenty of prompt books, I had not much else.  What they had me do for the class was clean up two prompt books, one musical and one non-musical, and make a third smaller binder of other things.

When I ended the class I had three matching binders, 2 large ones with the two prompt books, and a smaller 1" one sectioned off into examples of paperwork, some design things I had done and some artwork.  It seemed to be a good answer for if I was ever to be asked for a portolio.  Of course, its now ten years later and I have yet to take my three nice binders off their shelf - but I still think the idea is sound.  I just keep having phone interviews getting me jobs so haven't needed to bring things in person.

-Centaura