Author Topic: Finding work: Applications and acceptances HELP!  (Read 4763 times)

Libby

Finding work: Applications and acceptances HELP!
« on: Mar 15, 2006, 05:46 pm »
I don't want to say what theatres but here is my question. Also some background to help.

I am graduating in May and I was looking at three theatres for upcomming jobs. I lined up all three interviews for this upcomming week. Two are for year long internships and the third is at for a summer theatre festival.
Today I got the offer from one of the year long positions. It is at a theatre that runs under a COST contract. The only problem is that I found out that it would start this June rather than in Spetember (the website didn't have any definite starting dates for stage management). I would ASM for every other show in their season (about 4 shows total), and the rest of the time I would do work in the office.
The other year long internship runs under a LORT contract and would also allow me to do the summer festival which opperates under the CORST contract (if...knock on wood...I got offers from all three theatres.).

The theatre that has given me the offer (The first theatre) wants an answer in the next week.  I think that I would rather do the summer festival and the second year long internship, but am worried that if I turn down the first theatre then I still might not get hired at the other two.

Any suggestions on how should I handle this situation?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008, 12:27 pm by PSMKay »

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Applications and acceptances HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2006, 08:02 pm »
Call the first offer and say that you need a few days before you accept.  The other two interviews are this week, right?  So during those interviews, let them know that you have an offer that you need to reply to in a couple of days.  That'll elicit a level of interest from the new interviews, and you'll be able to gauge how to respond to the first offer.  You can probably put them off for a few days, too, unless they have a large number of candidates waiting.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2006, 09:58 pm »
It is most definatly a rock/hard place situation.

I suppose it somewhat depends on how confident you feel in getting one of the others. They may accept 'tentative acceptance' to buy you some extra time.

About a month ago I was put in your position, although on a smaller scale. I attended the second interview after the offer for my first position, and I basically said at the end "Can I just ask, what do you think my chances are, because I have an offer for another position and if I have a decent chance at this position, I will need to know soon, so that I can turn down the other offer." I got a call later that day from them, telling me that I should go ahead and decline the other offer if I wanted a position there.

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2006, 10:25 pm »
I also was in a similar situation last year.  I had been accepted to work(read: intern) at a large summer theatre festival, albiet with no pay.  It would have been great for the networking alone, if there hadn't been this other job on the horizon.  I received an offer for this first position the day before I interviewed for a position with a local new plays festival.  Now, this job, while less prestigous, paid very well and I have a strong interest in new work.   This interview went extremely well, perhaps the most comfortable interview I have ever had, but then I waited.  I waited for over a week, putting off the large festival (I made it a point not to answer my phone...which may have not been a great move, but it kept me from lying to anyone point blank).  I finally got in touch with one of the women I had interviewed with for the second job, the artistic director, and explained that while they were my first choice, I had another offer that I really needed to address one way or another.  She emailed me back within an hour and said not to take that job, that the production manager would be in touch with me.  He emailed me an offer within the next hour.    I accepted the position with the group I really wanted to work with, and thoroughly enjoyed myself, and will be returning this summer.   Sometimes it really pays off to play one group off another group, to show the interest that other see in you.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2006, 12:20 am »
I worked as a Company Manager for awhile and worked closely with the Production Manager on the internship program, so just to throw in a perspective from the management side of things: we received more applications for stage management interns than all other internships combined.  But, as a general rule, that meant that the SM interns were of a very high caliber because it was very competitive.  

So, if they like you, they'll chase you, but they probably have several options on the table if you decline.  

When making your decision, consider several factors:
*Look at the shows that the theatres are doing and see whose season best fits in with your interests
*Check out the surrounding area of the theatre and what else is close by (know what other theatres are near so you can start thinking about networking)
*Weigh the benefits from each (salary, is housing provided, EMC points, etc)
*Find out exactly what you will do in your internship.  At some theatres, the SM intern is more of a PA than an ASM.
*Find out what other interns who have gone through the program are doing now (are they AEA SMs, not working anymore, etc)

Be as informed as possible.  Best of luck with your decision!

riotous