Poll

Where is the best place to move and studt after high school for Stage Mangement?

Las Vegas
1 (14.3%)
Virginia (anywhere)
0 (0%)
Long Beach
1 (14.3%)
New York City
2 (28.6%)
Hollywood
0 (0%)
Other (post other option)
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: any jobs out there  (Read 4022 times)

katherinesifuentes24

• Tourist
    • View Profile
any jobs out there
« on: Sep 24, 2008, 05:18 pm »
 ;D im only a sophmore  but im assistant stage manager at school and imma be stage manager next year... i really like this position and was wondering if you had any refrences or anything???? or even advice!?!?!?! ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???    help! :P ??? :) ::) ??? :o :( ;D

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: any jobs out there
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2008, 09:52 pm »
One small word of advice - think about how you put forth your posts like this - many of the people here (and many other forums like this) may well be prospective employers.

Also - where are you located?
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2008, 09:55 pm by Mac Calder »

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2008, 10:30 pm »
I second Mac's thoughts.  When posting on a professional forum like this it's considered appropriate to use proper grammar, punctuation, etc..  I see you're in school - a good analogy may be to think term paper vs. IM conversation.

For employment opportunities, check around where you live; see if there are any community theatres or smaller professional theatres in the area.  They may not be able to actually employ you, per se, but a lot of theatres are always happy to have volunteers, and it would be a great way for you to gain some experience.
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2008, 10:52 pm by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

katherinesifuentes24

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2008, 04:26 pm »
Thank you for your advice. I'm a sohpmore at Mission Hills High School in San Diego county. I'm currently the assistant stage manager at my school, a promotion awaits me next year when all the experienced seniors descend forth into their careers of theater. I'm currently enrolled into Drama 1, for new actors. I have much experience with lighting, suonds, booths, ushering and being a Master of Ceremonies.
                     The Director of my school theater gives everyone involved a feeling of being blessed that someone so talented and determined to spread theater knowledge is here with us. This semester, we are putting on our first main stream play, "The Odd Couple." In the Fall we will be presenting "Chicago." Both plays are expected to be amazing. Casting was made very difficult due to so much talent in my school, however i still need advice on what is requireed to attain a job as a stage manager. I am very creative, and am inrolled into all AP classes, i have a background for being innovative, and i am a people's person. Is there any advice floating around in the midst of all these people? Please give me advice, for i have only been in theater a year, and i await to see what happend once i dedicate my entire life to theater.

Once again, thank you all for the advice on posting and presenting myself, it's just that school gets a tad bit tiring. Thank you and i look forward to reading your advice. :)

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2008, 05:55 pm »
Start by spending some time on these forums - there is a lot of good advice already up here.  Check out the Employment board and the Students & Novice Stage Managers board especially.

Good luck!

katherinesifuentes24

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2008, 03:32 pm »
Thank you.!