Author Topic: NEWBIES: Guys and Dolls  (Read 7944 times)

TheaterTek

• New to Town
    • View Profile
NEWBIES: Guys and Dolls
« on: Jan 29, 2007, 03:43 pm »
Hello there folks!
I'm stage managing my first musical in college. I'm not worried about calling the cues to music and such, I've a good music and dance background and I am getting tutored in score reading.
there are a few things about our production that i'd like some advice on;
1-Our set involves a turntable. How do you tape this out (silly thing I know but vital since lots of set pieces will be 'on top of each other' as the table revolves).?
2-We are also using machine operated moving platforms, what advice can you give?
3-During music rehearsals if I have no paperwork to do, is it ok to...read a book and such?
4-What do i need to do to get ready for dance rehearsals, what do I do during a dance rehearsal?
5-ummm anything else?
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 12:06 am by PSMKay »

philimbesi

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Guys and Dolls
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2007, 03:56 pm »
During music rehearsals if I have no paperwork to do, is it ok to...read a book and such?

Sure, but I've found that it's more productive to take notes in reguard to changes in the music, or lines that are cut.  I've had situations where musical directors couldn't remember some of what they've done and my note of, "Wait on... "  "No Vamp" or whatever has helped jog peoples memory.    Moreover it may help the actors to have notes about mood, tempo and such. 

What do i need to do to get ready for dance rehearsals, what do I do during a dance rehearsal

First of make sure the space is set up right.  Second I'd see if the choreographer has notes on what they are doing.  If they don't then I'd take notes as to dance steps and formations.  If they do ask to make copies and keep them in the production book. 

ummm anything else

Prop list, prop list, prop list.  GnD is a prop HEAVY show, from cheesecake, to racing forms, to band instruments, to coconut drinks, to dice, make sure your lists are impeccable, and up to date. 

At least that's what I'd do.  I've never worked with a revolve or mechanicals so I can't help you there.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2007, 04:40 pm »
How bog is your rehearsal space.

Can you tape out the whole turntable just as it will be onstage?  Then move yourself and director around the perimeter of the room for each scene.

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:27 pm »
1-Our set involves a turntable. How do you tape this out (silly thing I know but vital since lots of set pieces will be 'on top of each other' as the table revolves).?

Different coloured tape for each scene is the way I've always worked in situations like this and provided you put up a list somewhere of what colour represents each scene, you should be fine!

2-We are also using machine operated moving platforms, what advice can you give?

Safety is possibly the biggest concern here; you will probably find that from the prompt desk you won't be able to see everything, so you may need ASMs stationed at various places where they can clearly see if the scenery move is safe, and have them on coms so they can let you or whoever is operating the machinery know if there's a problem.

3-During music rehearsals if I have no paperwork to do, is it ok to...read a book and such?

If you don't read music as comfortably as you read writing, you will probably find it very valuable to follow the music along during rehearsals; this will help your familiarity with the score and your music reading at the same time.

5-ummm anything else?

I second Philimbesi's comment about prop lists.  I'm stage managing G&D at the moment, and there are bazillions of props.  Something to consider early on is what you're going to do about money; obviously real money is bad (!) but you have to be very, very careful about reproducing fake money, otherwise you may find yourself in a spot of bother.  I'm in New Zealand, so using not real US money isn't quite such a problem, but you may want to find out what you need to write on it etc so that you don't get arrested for counterfeiting....

Above all, have fun!  Guys and Dolls is a fabulous show and one you can have real fun with.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2007, 02:57 pm »
It looks like most of what I would have replied has been replied already aside from one thing...

It is just NEVER EVER appropriate that the SM be reading or working on anything non-show related in rehearsal. If I ever had an assistant be reading or crossword puzzling etc... I'd be mortified and to be perfectly frank; they'd probably never work for me again.

Music rehearsal is a great chance for you to give your assistant's the night off, or a chance for them to be working on paperwork etc... If you have already done absolutely everything you can think of to do in connection to the show, and it's the 76849th hour of music rehearsal for the same 3 bar's of music, then you could ask the music director if they would mind if you worked in your office/ computer lab for the next 20 minutes or so. But I would be worried about being out of the rehearsal room for more than 20 minutes- you'd be bound to miss something.

I'd really suggest that you spend the time with the score in music rehearsal learning every nuance of every note to be played- it will really help you out when it comes to calling the show.

Just my suggestions.... Enjoy your musical!  ;D

smsam

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:03 pm »
Guys and Dolls is a fantastic show, but yes very proppy! Clear Props Lists, Setting Lists, Running Lists etc. will be really important.

As others have said the normal way is to tape out the turntable/ revolve in one color and then use lots of other colors (labeled and displayed with a key somewhere prominent in the rehearsal room!) to tape out the various furniture for other scenes.

Yep, as others have also said, the main thing here is safety. What you may have to do is work "clearances' into your book/ cueing. For example automation cue 4 (which could for  be your platform tucking on and turning 90deg) you would warn/ stand-by at which point one of your ASMs or Automation Assistants would go and take position by the truck/ area. Then when you call it you would go something like "Automation Cue 4 clearance" ("CLEAR") "AUTO 4...GO". They can then watch its movements and report back straight to the operator or you if there are any problems. You are also could have e-stop buttons on the prompt desk for automation so make sure you locate them and work out what's what - if applicable, so in an emergancy you know what to do. Likewise a full briefing to cast and crew on what to do if there is a "Show Stop" will be required. Automation is the No.1 (by far) reason for show-stops in the West-End! In-fact most shows only ever stop for automation problems in the west-end.

I find it hard to believe that you will never have anything to do, there's always calls to write up, rehearsal reports to write, blocking to tidy up, and a plethora of other jobs to be done in the book but failing that I would agree it's completely unacceptable to read/ do other things in rehearsals. If there's nothing else to do then just practice following the score, knowing it intimately will be good practice for when your Lighting Designer whats to put a cue on every other upbeat! Also don't forget to listen out for any cuts. The Musical Director can cut repeats, bars or even whole sections just as the Director can cut lines and if this happens and you don't notice you and the LD will be the first to get confused in the tech!

Best of luck, it's a fantastic show!

Sam x
Sam x

MileHighSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:38 pm »
I've not dealt with a turntable up to this point in my experience, but as for what to do during rehearsal, I would agree w/ everyone else.  You really should never do anything NOT show related in a rehearsal, even if it is just for music.  It's a great time to catch up on paperwork, and in a musical a fantastic time to get to know the score.  You'd be amazed how many Q's you'll end up calling w/ music and not necessarily a lyric, so it's good to know exactly what's going on.  I don't think I've ever had nothing to do in rehearsal as an SM.  Guys and Dolls is a great and crazy show, so I'm sure you can find things to do.  But if you choose to read in *any* rehearsal, it may also send out the vibe that you don't care about what's going on, which is the last thing you want to do I'm sure.

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2007, 10:42 pm »
In college I had a similar situation that after so many music rehearsals sometimes you didnt have paper work to work on.  Often times I would sit with my ASM's in the corner and quietly go over the script looking for places props would be needed or when there may be a quick costume change.  Ultimately if i had the extra time if i was reading anything it would be reading the script again.  This is especially useful in the early rehearsals as it lets you learn the show better.

As for the turn table thing, just various colored spike tape on top of each other.  On the last show of A Christmas Carol I worked on we had like 5 different locations all taped on top of each other.  Just start with one location tape it all out then tape the next location right ontop of it in a different color.  When you get done the floor will look like an airport runway with lines going ever which direction but as long as you have clear notes as to what color is what set posted throughout the room that actors should be able to look down and be like "ok this is Havanah so im looking for the blue" or "its the sewer to watch for brown."

killerdana

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2007, 02:05 am »
I've worked with a turntable before.  Just know that unless you can set your turntable to revolve exact turns (i.e. set it for an exact 360 or 180) you won't be able to spike anything on the stage, everything will have to be eyeballed.
Science without art is sterile.  --Albert Einstein

GNS BOXY

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
Re: NEWBIES: Guys and Dolls
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2017, 12:41 pm »
Hello there folks!
I'm stage managing my first musical in college. I'm not worried about calling the cues to music and such, I've a good music and dance background and I am getting tutored in score reading.
there are a few things about our production that i'd like some advice on;
4-What do i need to do to get ready for dance rehearsals, what do I do during a dance rehearsal?
5-ummm anything else?

Instead of taping it out maybe you could just create a map for each scene with a piece of red or glow tape at one end for orientation. I dont know, Ive ne