Author Topic: Question about resume...  (Read 2520 times)

bonham0731

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Question about resume...
« on: Mar 15, 2010, 05:18 pm »
Hi! I'm not sure this belongs in this section, but I thought it would be a good place to start.  My instincts tell me that I already know the answer to this question, however I wanted to post here to see if there were any options I might not be thinking of.

I recently stage managed a production that had to be cancelled two days before opening night due to some unavoidable circumstances. I was wondering if there was any way to portray this on a resume? I did all of the leg work, and the only thing I didn't get to do was call the show in front of an audience (I had called it during a dress rehearsal). I doubt I am able to use it, but I wanted to ask just in case I'm not thinking of something. Thanks!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Question about resume...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2010, 06:27 pm »
This has happened to me twice . . . both were some pretty high profile commercial projects - one show never got to rehearsal, but I did about five months of pre-production before the plug was pulled, the other got to tech, before the plug was pulled.

Do you need the credits on your resume?  Is the project big enough to want to put on your resume?  If the answer is so, then I would put it down - marking it somehow (never opened).  At least it will lead to an interesting conversation at an interview.

Post Merge: Mar 15, 2010, 06:28 pm
One more thought . . . think of it as an actor who shoots a scene for a movie, but has it cut . . . he still has done the work, no one has seen it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2010, 08:42 pm »
Do you need the credits on your resume?  Is the project big enough to want to put on your resume?  If the answer is so, then I would put it down - marking it somehow (never opened).  At least it will lead to an interesting conversation at an interview.

I'd definitely second this advice.  Something that can lead to a conversation is invaluable on your resume.  So many resumes are boring, bland, mundane - hiring managers or production managers will look at your resume and look for something different.

I once interviewed a guy who had "long-tail cat wrangler" under his skills.  It was a great conversation and I got to hear his personality.  Combine a conversation starter with your abilities and skills and you've certainly got an inside track to a job.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

bonham0731

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2010, 07:20 pm »
Thank you so much for your replies! I appreciate the advice from both of you, and I agree that conversation starters are always a plus! :)