Author Topic: Motivation & Energy - Need Help & Ideas  (Read 3046 times)

BilOregon

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: You're a Good Man Charlie Brown (August) - The Hunchback of Notre Dame (October) - Elf: The Musical (December)
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Motivation & Energy - Need Help & Ideas
« on: Nov 23, 2015, 12:15 pm »
A little background. 

I am the SM at a community theatre that has been around for many years (I think 1982 was our first production).  I got interested in acting and finally SM while seeing shows here.  They are just amazing in my own opinion.  Everyone at the theatre is volunteer (except for Exec Dir and about 4 part-time box office staff). 

This is my first show as SM and I am truly loving the experience.  I feel much better suited for SM than actor!

This is my issue, we have a large number of teenagers as actors on this show (Lion, Witch & the Wardrobe).  We have been blocked for a few weeks, and we've been running the show in rehearsals.  Blocking is great, the fight scenes are amazing (as the SM in charge of making sure the actors are safe, they scare me, so I guess that is good), the set is amazing.  The PROBLEM, energy and motivation at this point.  I am getting too many people texting me the day of saying they can't make rehearsal for some silly reason.  I am having a hard time getting their energy up when they do come to rehearsal.  We open on December 4th, and I'm worried that we won't give our already 100% sold out run a GREAT show. 

How do you help actors keep their energy and excitement up for a show?  Are their any activities or fun things any of you have done in the past that has helped.  How do you keep a volunteer group motivated and keep them wanting to show up every night?

I don't expect a lot, I just want them there at rehearsals.  I spend 4 hours a night M-F and about 8 hours on Saturday and at least an hour or two on Sunday (props, prep for the week, etc) getting the show ready.  Why can't they do 3 hours a night only?   ::)

Thanks for any suggestions!
Bil

Edited to add that most of the actors are amazing!  They are there early and ready to go on time and never miss a rehearsal!  It's just a number of them that are giving me minor twitches behind my eye.   ;D

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Motivation & Energy - Need Help & Ideas
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2015, 10:00 am »
Hey Bil!
I generally find that with volunteers I work with, the enthusiasm I show directly correlates with the level they show. [and, yes I know correlation does not necessarily mean causation....  :P]
I also notice that towards the end of the rehearsal period and before tech, there is definitely a slump in motivation.  You're looking for that extra something, that extra piece of the show, the new costumes, etc....  But motivation should fall primarily with the director and the actors themselves.  There's not much we can do if an employee isn't excited to come to work in the first place.  We can be excited for them, but not FOR them, savvy?
Break a leg~

Brandywine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Book: Stage Manager's Survivors Guide
  • Current Gig: City Lights Theater and Epic Immersive
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Motivation & Energy - Need Help & Ideas
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2015, 04:04 pm »
Something I did with large teenage casts for community theatre (And more than a few times with larges casts in general - community or semi-pro) .. it's a bit dorky, but it made them laugh and started each run/performance off with them smiling... a group warm-up circle. This wasn't meant to replace vocal warmups or full warm-ups, but it's something to bring everyone (including crew!!) together before the house opened. get in a circle on the stage (or if not enough room somewhere backstage so everyone can see each other's faces) ... do something like lion/prune facial stretch, or have one of the actors/crew pick a tongue twister to all say. then after that, i'd do a brief pep talk. and I do mean brief. just something to remind them how amazing they are, how I appreciate all of the time and work they've put into the show. and how much butt I know they'll kick that night. then a big group shout/cheer... and I send them all backstage so we could open the house.

I found this most needed on thur, fri and sun performances when many folks came from day jobs or were tired from staying out late sat night. when working with teenagers, figure out who in the cast is the leader... who is the one or two people the rest seem to follow in terms of behavior and attitude... then get them involved in this warm-up. give them the chance to lead/shine (aka pick the exercise to do or such) and everyone else will likely feed off their energy and excitement, because (dorky those this sounds) a frown is just as contagious as a smile. so get the most vocal/most social/most everyone-follows-what-this-one-does person to smile!!

or bribe them with cookies for showing up on time. sometimes that works wonders too. :)

riotous