Poll

If SMNetwork offered a mentorship program, would you be interested in participating?

Yes - as a mentee
240 (69.4%)
Yes - as a mentee (via email only)
35 (10.1%)
Yes - as a mentor
39 (11.3%)
Yes - as a mentor (via email only)
12 (3.5%)
Maybe
19 (5.5%)
No
1 (0.3%)

Total Members Voted: 341

Author Topic: Mentorship Program  (Read 91197 times)

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
Mentorship Program
« on: Oct 13, 2008, 08:00 pm »
As we continue to try to grow and improve SMNetwork, the moderator team has tossed around the idea of starting a mentorship program.  This could go in several directions, from shadowing opportunities to a mentor relationship in your area to one where you talk by email.  I would love input from the members of SMNetwork on whether this is something that would be of interest to you, what you would like to get out of a mentorship program, etc, to help guide us as we further develop this idea.   

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
Re: Mentorship Program
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2008, 08:04 pm »
I think there are different levels of mentor, which maybe we should take into account.  High school or college students might want an older student or recent graduate; someone who's just moved to NYC might want someone who's been there for several years...etc.

Also, a person might be in a position to be both a mentor and a mentee.  A college senior would be a great mentor for a new freshman, but would want a mentor who, say, has been working in their city for a few years.

Just some things to chew over...

(P.S. Stickying this for now to maximize the number of responses.)
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2008, 08:07 pm by zayit shachor »

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2008, 11:01 pm »
I concur with the previous post. We have a similar system here at my college. When you enter college you are matched with a mentor. Then the next year you receive and mentizzle. It is very successful in creating a large group of friendships and helps teach freshman the ins and outs of the department. It also encourages them to socialize more and keep active in the department.
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

smarielle.goldstein

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: The University of Pittsburgh, USITT, SMA
  • Current Gig: ASM Intern with the Shakespeare Theatre Company for the upcoming 2010-2011 season
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2008, 10:31 am »
I have a similar situation with this at The University of Pittsburgh. We recently officiated a USITT chapter at Pitt and the Chair and I started a Peer Mentorship program for underclassmen that may need a helping hand. We appointed one or 2 upperclassman form many different fields and seeing as USITT is technical it ranges from Stage Management to Scenic Design to Lighting and so on and so forth. We have found that it not only helps the Mentee a great deal and gives them more confidence, but the Mentors as well. I am currently Stage Managing Lysistrata (with 30 actors, music composed for the show, live musicians that are also our actors, choreography, and a plethora or Phalli) and while I am a Mentor in the program it helped greatly to have other Mentors there as well and one of my Mentees. Sometimes all you need is the reminder that people are there to help and you are not in it alone.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2008, 12:17 am »
Thanks for all of the input so far.  You each make really great points and we will definitely take this into consideration as we develop the program. 

vicky17ad

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2008, 04:55 pm »
it sounds like a fantastic idea, being from scotland i would like to get to no people from other parts of the world and be mentored by the profetionals and graduates of the world.
stress is a demon

nathanchrist

• New to Town
  • Cue!!! Freakin' Cue!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2008, 02:26 pm »
I love the idea of mentorship. Especially with my senior project on SMing. I would love someone to advise the project and give me feedback. :)
Cue!!! Freakin' Cue!!!

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2008, 10:40 am »
At WSU we have a very similar thing. Every year, one of the grad SM's mentors the undergrads. But I'm kind of now looking for a more professional person to talk to, since I am going to be out there in a few months, and just to have someone to talk to to get my foot in the door, so to speak. 

Great Idea, though.

allenah

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2008, 04:16 pm »
I think this sounds like a great idea!  The best part of your idea is that there will be an email program.  This would allow SMs from different countries and areas to communicate.  Then, also, if some SMs are in rural areas, they still have the ability to participate in the program ;D
Theatre is nothing if not spontaneous.The novel can be put away, taken up, reread.Not theatre.It keeps slipping between one's fingers.Its permanent features such as scenery, script, etc. are not more theatre than two poles of a generator are electricity.

SMintraining

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2009, 09:00 pm »
I would absolutely love that.
I'm in a community college for now (majoring in Tech Theatre), in mesa AZ, and i'll eventually transfer to Arizona State.
I've dabbled in all of the theatre departments, for example, i'm A.L.D., Makeup assistant, and apparently uh...stage manager trainer, for Urinetown at my Alma mater.
This sounds so awesome because i need all the experience and coaching i can get.
i'd definitely like to be contacted if someone in my area would like to mentor me.

-Becca

InDebtfromcollege

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2009, 02:37 pm »
I would love to be apart of a mentor program. I am just starting out in the Stage Management gig and have grown to love it. I started my Masters not really know what I wanted to do with life, and got swept up by it. It was never something that I had wanted to do since high school, I have kinda floated around in the theatre. However, now that I am doing it I am loving it. I just wish it was easier to know what to do. I ask my college profs and they all say to go and get my MFA. So that's the plan, but I would love to get into the professional world.

smwmu12

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: WMU Department of Theatre, Grand Rapids Civic Theatre
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2009, 11:38 am »
This sounds like a great idea! It would be very helpful to get feedback from SMs who are farther along in their career than myself.

oprachrstenor

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: The Recording Academy (Associate); Stage Manager's Association (Associate)
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2010, 04:38 pm »
I would definitely be interested in a mentorship program...even if it is only by email!

At University of Memphis, we have what I would call a quasi-mentorship program in our theatre department. The officers of our student theatre organization each take a group of incoming freshman and transfers under their wings for the first year they are here. But aside from our advisors (who are excellent resources), that is about all that we have. So actually I would have to say that we don't have a mentorship program.

I am finding out more and more that in this industry--especially for SM's--it's who you know. A mentorship program, aside from being a wonderful learning resource, would be a great introduction into networking.

clpeek

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Casey L. Peek
  • Affiliations: Illinois State University
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 02:47 pm »
I would be super interested in a mentorship program.  Both as someone who is trying to get more knowledge into the career, but also as someone who knows how beneficial a mentor program can be.  I recently transferred into ISU and the mentorships they provide for incoming transfers was incredibly helpful.  Know I'm co-head of that committee and we have been realizing how many benefits there are in it.

sgoldsbo

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Rogue Artists Ensemble
  • Affiliations: Rogue Artists Ensemble, UC Irvine
« Reply #14 on: Jun 01, 2010, 03:22 pm »
This sounds like such a great idea! Stage Management is often such a lonely job, and one of the biggest benefits of a graduate program is peer support and mentorship. I'd be down!

riotous