Author Topic: Interview questions  (Read 3417 times)

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Interview questions
« on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:35 am »
I have always been decent at answering questions during interviews. However, I've heard that when the interviewer asks "Do you have any questions?" you should have some prepared. Any of the questions I can think of sound stupid. What kind of questions are the interviewers looking for?
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
Re: Interview questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:35 pm »
It sort of depends on the post.  In a recent interview, which was for a position a little different than my usual gig, I asked if I was expected to keep "normal" office hours in addition to performance/prep time, and for the interviewer to describe a typical day for the position.  What type of crew/how experienced is also a question I always make sure to ask.  I've been surprised by eager but untrained volunteers before!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2010, 03:24 pm »
Any of the questions I can think of sound stupid.

I enjoy when the potential job candidate/intern/interested party asks any type of question.  It shows they are interested and are seriously considering the job.  Of course there are exceptions to this rule, but questions prove interest.

Try writing down a very detailed description of a past job (hours, location, pay, etc...) and anything that isn't covered by your interview, ask about it.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2010, 06:05 pm »
If you’re interviewing for a specific show and it would be your first time with the theater company, I’d ask a lot of prep week type questions:
-what is the rehearsal room like, is there storage space there
-how soon do rehearsals move to the stage
-what is the director like/have they worked with the company before
-what is the typical tech week schedule for the company
-what is the company philosophy on Previews (good time for script changes vs. perfecting the tech)
- do you have a PA or ASM in rehearsal and what is their background (paid/unpaid/student), how many crew will run the show
-does the SM call from the booth or backstage
-who handles script changes?  Will there be a dramturg?  Will there be an Assistant Director?
-Is there an SM office/computer/printer/copy machine?  Does anyone else use that office as well?
-Who are the other department heads you’ll be working with (is there a TD & ATD on staff?  Is there a Costume Shop & Manager, or do designers work on their own?  Is there a crew head, or does that fall to the SM? Does the ME run the light board?  Is there a resident sound person?)

If you are interviewing for a year-round position, some of the above questions might still be good, but you might want to ask more generally procedural questions.   You would also want to ask about benefits, and how requests for time off and sick leave are handled, and who your direct supervisor is.
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)