Author Topic: Interview Questions  (Read 3260 times)

AJo99

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Interview Questions
« on: Jun 02, 2008, 12:46 am »
Please note, this IS posted with permission.  Thank you.

Hi Everyone,
So for my stage management class I have to interview a professional stage manager.  Since I don't get to interview someone in person because my school is in the middle of nowhere, I figured I would do the next best thing and do an interview online.  (Ok, maybe the next best thing would have been a phone interview but besides my stage management professor, I don't any professional stage managers.)  For anyone who would like to help me out, I have a number of questions listed below.  If you could please take some time to answer them and send me the answers in a personal message that would be wonderful.  Also, could you please include your name (first name) and whether or not you are an equity stage manager?  Thanks for your time.  I really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Ashley

Questions: 

1.  How long have you been stage managing?

2.  What was the first show you ever stage managed?

3.  How did you get involved with stage managing?

4.  What is a lesson you had to learn the "hard way"?

5.  What is one thing you wish you would have known when you first started stage managing?

6.  Who or what have you learned the most from?

7.  What was your most memorable show?  Why?

8.  Besides the basics, such as first aid kits, pencils, erasers, what are some items in your SM kit?

9.  How do you call a show?  Do you give warnings and standbys?  Just standbys?  Nothing at all?

10.  What is a resource you would recommend to novice stage managers?

11.  What are the typical duties you assign to the ASM?

12.  What is one piece of advice you would give students studying stage management before they head out into the "real world"?   

Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!

AJo99

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Interview Questions
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2008, 10:59 pm »
Thanks for your help everyone!  I really appreciate it!