Author Topic: I'm an amateur and I'm working with a professional  (Read 4441 times)

Day

• Tourist
    • View Profile
I'm an amateur and I'm working with a professional
« on: Feb 17, 2008, 08:18 pm »
Hi everyone. I have a question for the more experienced among us. I started stage managing my high schools musicals and shows as a freshman. I encountered some resentment from the upperclassmen, but overall I did a really good job. The only reason why some shows survived was because of myself and especially my hard working and dedicated crew. For four years now I have been very involved in dancing, acting, working backstage, costume deigning, and set building for a community children's theatre. I just finished ASM for their winter show. Yesterday I receive a call from the artistic director who offered me a stage managing job for their spring show. I am only 16 years old. The director is a professional with a master’s degree. I don't really know how I am going to do working with her. Also, I have no idea why they want to hire me in the first place. I am talented at what I do and I throw myself into any job I am doing, but do you think they consider me cheap labor? So hear is my questions. Should I accept in the first place? If I do accept, do you guys have any advice or tips for an amateur like me working with a professional?

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: I'm an amateur and I'm working with a professional
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2008, 10:19 pm »
I absolutely think you should take the job.  If they sought YOU out based on your experience, accept, and take what you've learned and apply it at this company that is new to you.  Remember that it is not the same as your high school, so you will need to be flexible and willing to roll with the punches.  You'll be fine, I promise.  It's a learning experience and even if they do consider you cheap labor you will only learn this profession by doing it.

I recommend you read through this site as well as stage management books you can get from your library, and learn as much as you can.  Also, remember to sit down with your director and have a frank discussion about your role, what the expectations are, and your duties, as these can differ from company to company. 

Break a leg, and keep us updated!

"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2008, 11:57 pm »
I'm with sievep.  This sounds like an amazing opportunity for you!

Definitely keep us updated - this site can be a great resource. 

I'm sure you'll do great!

djemily

• New to Town
  • God said "GO", and then there was light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2008, 12:42 am »
Take the job!! They obviously know who you are and that you work hard. And honestly, I wouldn't worry about the pay. To me, experience, especially when you are starting out, is far more valuable than a few extra dollars (though it is always nice).

Good luck! And let us know if you have any more questions!! There are always people on here who can give great answers!

MJennings

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2008, 10:01 pm »
I completely understand what you are going through.  The first stage management position I took was as a junior in high school working with a professional director with a community theater in my home town.  Taking the job was by far one of the best and at times scariest decisions I could have made.  This will give you an opportunity to see how the other people work and you will learn so much from the experience.  I agree that you should sit down with the director and have a conversations about expectations because then you will start out on the same page and the experience will be that much better.  Congratulations and break a leg.  Oh and don't forget to have FUN!

ddsherrer

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2008, 10:31 pm »
Apparently everyone, including myself, thinks you should take the job.  It's a stepping stone in the right direction.  I accepted my first professional SM gig when I was 18.  When I look back at it, I was cheap labor!  BUT I learned so much so fast.  I did tons of things wrong and let a lot of things slip through my fingers.  It happens when you're new.  But this company obviously wants YOU and wants to see you succeed.  The biggest tip I can give you is to ask questions. Seriously. I know people are always saying to ask questions, but quite frankly it can be completely intimidating. Especially if you're working with people who know a lot more than you do.  Remember that they were your age once too, so ask ask ask! It's better to feel silly for a moment than suffer the possible consiquences of not asking.

If all the world's a stage, where's my stage manager?

riotous