Author Topic: How to encourage actors to show up?  (Read 6418 times)

smystery

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
How to encourage actors to show up?
« on: Feb 12, 2010, 12:50 am »
How do I encourage actors to come to rehearsal when I have a director that is constantly yelling at them? Somebodys late  and she automatically starts yelling about their commitment that amkes them not want to be there.

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: How to encourage actors to show up?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2010, 03:54 pm »
This is when you become the spokes person for the cast and have a private, non-confrontational conversation with the director.  Inform her how the cast feels.  Constant yelling does not resolve anything and looses it's impact when you do need to yell.  Is lateness something that's happening frequently?  Are there legitimate reasons for lateness? Is your director always on time or early?   

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2010, 06:22 pm »
I feel like this yelling would be encouragement in and of itself.  How late are they when he director typically yells?

smystery

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2010, 11:45 pm »
Its not even just if they're late. I mean she will yell if they are anywhere form 2 minutes to 2hours(which really is unacceptable) but even if they called and said they cant be there. I just don't think yelling's exactly how to deal with it, I know shes busy but if she took the time to find out whyt hey were late instead of blatantly accusing them they might be more receptive

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2010, 04:21 pm »
The yelling for a 2 minute late individual seems harsh.  2 hours with no notice? I think that might deserve a little discussion.

I'll agree with SMrose on this one.  A sit down with a cast rep., yourself and the director might be a good idea.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2010, 05:16 pm »
Personally I don't think yelling ever solves anything.  You can be firm and lay down the law without yelling.  People generally are a lot more receptive when you're speaking calmly (but firmly) than they are when you're yelling.  Just my two cents.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2010, 06:15 pm »
Here's my hint . . . yelling doesn't solve anything, and will just escalate the issue.

I find the best thing to do is get the person into rehearsal as soon as possible, and THEN, at the end of the day, asked them what's up.

I tend to separate the issue from the person . . . like "It seems there is an issue with you coming in on time?  Are you confused about the call?  Is there anything I can do to help you arrive on time?  The cast seems to have an issue with arriving on time, and it's really causing the director to be stressed out - which is not creating a very positive atmosphere for the rehearsal, and cause undue stress for the rest of the cast."  By creating the problem separate from the individual, and inviting them to help solve the problem, I find the cast member, if they have any sense of professionalism - they usually step up to the plate.

Good luck with the issue.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Thespi620

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2010, 06:36 pm »
It has always been my impression that it is the SM's job, not the director's, to ensure that everyone arrives on time to rehearsals.  Maybe you need to remind your director of that fact, and then make sure that when actors come in late you find an appropriate time to talk to them--and make sure you do it every time, whether the actor was 2 minutes or 2 hours late.  If the director sees you take control of the situation, that may keep her from yelling--because it isn't her responsibility any more.
[The SM is] a very gifted, slightly eccentric master mechanic [keeping] a cantankerous, highly complex machine running at top efficiency by talking to it, soothing it, & lovingly fixing whatever is broken. 
-J. Michael Gillette

smystery

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2010, 11:43 pm »
Thanks all of you that really helps, My only cncern is that I'm a student and my director is also my teacher.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2010, 10:39 am »
Do you start rehearsal without the late folks? Or wait for them? I've found starting right on time, without missing folks, can sometimes help people realize that the show will go on, with or without them, so they should keep up.

« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2010, 10:03 am by missliz »
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

DanaGalSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2010, 06:44 pm »
I agree with KMC (hi kyle) and MatthewShiner on this one. After discussing the yelling with the director, I would sit down with the actor...or cast if it is a group issue. If there are no specific personal issues, as how you can help. I've worked with actors that have asked if I could send them a text each morning to remind them of call times. For them, it solved a lot of problems. Group discussions can also include reminders that actors lead a very difficult life. There are millions of them and-to be crude-most of them are easily replaced. I've found that many directors, when deciding to cast two actors similar in ability, they will almost always go with the one that is easier to work with if there is an option. While this may seem like a threat, it's simple honesty that will hopefully get their butts in gear about being serious about their chosen profession.

brookelynn87

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2010, 01:32 am »
Do y'all sign in at the call board? When I was SMing a show in college, I'd tape a riddle or some ridiculous question, and the first person to come up to me with the answer got a dollar, or a pencil, in one case I think I even bought someone dinner. Anyway, everyone always got there on time so that they could get a head start on the answer (we were an intensely competitive company). Perhaps having something that's quick, fun, and creative would make them want to be on time.

bethanyb5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Bethany Briggs
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2010, 12:53 pm »
My first question is why is the director taking charge of reprimanding late actors and not one of the SM's? If this is a miss understand in job descriptions then start there and sit down with the director and another other SM's and discuss who will be in charge of speaking to late actors and who will be the person they call when they are running late. The Director shouldn't have to  worry about this and is probably yelling out of frustration of the fact that she is the one dealing with it when she should be directing, unless she is just one of those people that yell all the time. If the SM is doing their job of keeping track of actors and informing the director of a need to change what is scene rehearsed first, second, third etc. then the director doesn't have to think about it and can focus on directing.