Author Topic: PROMPT SCRIPT: How do you divide a rectangular stage up?  (Read 6600 times)

Richard_Kirby

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
(Still getting used to the forum and tagging system so more do whatever you need to)

Greetings everyone,
I have another question : when working on a standard stage - that is one which is rectangular - how do you before down blocking? I currently divide the stage up into 9 sections which are as follows:
USR UCS USL
SR CS SL
DSR DCS DSL

Is this way what is normally done in the industry or is there further divisions?

Edited to add topic tag- Maribeth
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2016, 01:24 am by Maribeth »

kdshort1

• New to Town
  • Hi! :)
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alumni of SVSU, Member of Pit & Balcony
  • Current Gig: In between: Next is The Cockfight Play at Pit & Balcony
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: How do you divide a rectangular stage up?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2016, 08:34 pm »
This is the only way I've ever seen it, although sometimes when notating I'll get a little more specific "Left of center" or "downstage of USL" if the blocking calls for it to be that specific.

But I print out a groundplan on the back of each page of dialogue with several blank lines below it, so I can visualize each blocking movement that way.

I can see there being added 'zones' if you have a platform or are using the voms or an extension or something like that.

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2016, 10:10 pm »
Those are my general zones as well (except that I lose the extra 'S' and just use UR, DR, etc.).  When I have an upper level,  add designations like UUR (up up right) and UUL (up up left). 

On a unit set, I'll often reference furniture or other features in my blocking notation (ex. 'D x sink' or 'H x sofa'), as I find that's more specific for my brain.

I find I can be even more specific with musicals (and occasionally straight plays) when there is a number line.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2016, 10:30 pm »
Those are my general zones as well (except that I lose the extra 'S' and just use UR, DR, etc.).  When I have an upper level,  add designations like UUR (up up right) and UUL (up up left). 

On a unit set, I'll often reference furniture or other features in my blocking notation (ex. 'D x sink' or 'H x sofa'), as I find that's more specific for my brain.

I find I can be even more specific with musicals (and occasionally straight plays) when there is a number line.

Second all of this. Except, for upper levels, I underline the area- "DG x UR".

You should do what works for you. Whatever you decide, it's helpful to put a "key" in the front of the book explaining your shorthand, in case someone else has to read it. You can put a little diagram of the stage, and mark off which area is "UR", "UL", etc

« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2016, 12:49 am by Maribeth »

jNehlich

• New to Town
  • Been in this town since 2006...so not* new to town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: AEA SM
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2016, 11:42 am »

Whatever you decide, it's helpful to put a "key" in the front of the book explaining your shorthand, in case someone else has to read it. You can put a little diagram of the stage, and mark off which area is "UR", "UL", etc

I second this. You can use whatever notation you'd like. But having a blocking key is extremely helpful, especially if someone has to take over the show, or rehearse an understudy, etc.
But don't overthink it. If no one else can understand it - even with the help of a key - then it's pointless.   
-JN

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
Re: PROMPT SCRIPT: How do you divide a rectangular stage up?
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2016, 12:52 am »
But don't overthink it. If no one else can understand it - even with the help of a key - then it's pointless.   

Also, talk with the director ahead of time about what to call areas. No sense you calling it "Platform 1" if they're calling it something else. And then label it that decided-on description on the floor. Especially good for entrances/exits if you know where the masking legs are held. Everyone immediately knows where "Wing 2" is.