Author Topic: Getting Started in Theatre  (Read 2160 times)

aschrad

Getting Started in Theatre
« on: May 12, 2010, 04:37 pm »
I just finished my freshman year of college and am really interested in pursuing a career in theatre. I don't have what it takes to be on stage so I want to work in management and administration. My school does not offer a minor or major in theatre administration so I am studying to get my BBA and applying for internships in theaters and television stations. I also work at the campus television station. Am I taking the right steps? Is my major a suitable one for the business? What other steps should I take? Thanks for any help!!

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Getting Started in Theatre
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 09:46 pm »
Degrees in theatre, particularly in production and administration, are always a bit of a mixed blessing: there are about as many people in the world who go "Oh, hey, she has a degree! :D :D :D" as there are who go "Pffft, he has a degree. ::)" Being in the "wrong" major certainly isn't the end of the world, and don't think that it is.

I would suggest you get into volunteering for student and community theatre. This might not be the right time of the year (depending on your region, of course), but many community theatres are desperate for production and administrative support and will gladly train you for it. This allows you to build skills, develop a resume, network and begin feeling out how you might like theatre as a profession.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Getting Started in Theatre
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 10:26 pm »
please look around the student/novice SM boards - you may find a lot of your questions answered by others!

riotous