Author Topic: Dry Ice on stage  (Read 8590 times)

smarielle.goldstein

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: The University of Pittsburgh, USITT, SMA
  • Current Gig: ASM Intern with the Shakespeare Theatre Company for the upcoming 2010-2011 season
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Dry Ice on stage
« on: Sep 21, 2008, 10:28 pm »
Hello all,

I am currently in pre-production for Lysistrata. The director and I have a close bond and while discussing possible replacements for the coals on stage and fire on stage called for in Lysistrata she wants to use dry ice. Does anyone know the legality involving dry ice on stage or any other possibilities to aid in the effect? She is opposed to the fan fake flame things because she thinks they are cheesy and also wants to smoke. This is also for The University of Pittsburgh Repertory Theatre so our budget is quite small (although we are fundraising), so any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!
Arielle

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Dry Ice on stage
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2008, 12:10 am »
As to the legality, if I remember correctly from my Equity days as long as you notify the cast you should be fine, but I'm not sure you will get the effect you want, since dry ice fog hangs close to the floor and smoke rises. 
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2008, 08:50 am »
I'd recommend a smoke machine or hazer.  As Paul mentioned in his previous post the dry ice "smoke" will sink and lay on the floor.  Dry ice can also leave some nasty condensation that can turn into a slip hazard on stage, can be very inconsistent and is a pain to store/prep each night.  A hazer or smoke machine will give you a consistent effect that is right on cue each time.

Being that you're in Pittsburgh, may want to contact someone at Vincent Lighting.  They may even give it to you a bit cheaper if you explain you're doing a student production.  During my time at Penn State we rented from them a few different times and they were always very accommodating. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

jmc

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2008, 10:54 am »
With the coal fire effect, just knock up an old light flicker effect, using a fluro starter in series, with the conducting circuit to a number of incandescent lamps {globes (bubbles)}. To be more effective place a starter in both the Active & neutral feeds, this gives a more random effect. Also you can use a dimmer Chanel to adjust the fire glow as required. The fire place will determine the size of the bubbles needed & add odd pieces of colour gel for the effect.
 {However get a licensed &/or qualified electrician to make & produce it}   
Also as suggested a smoke/haser machine is what you need, which is controllable. Where as explained previously, dry ice is not smoke & will find the lowest level. Just like smoke it has a mind of it's own & needs to be controlled, also besides the costs & protective handling that is needed. Also adequate storage in large food or drink insulated container or 'Esk' is required for the dry ice. 
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2008, 10:58 am by jmc »
Tio Tio Chookas
{May you always play to a full house}
'Hear the light & see the sound'

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2008, 01:37 pm »
One thing to think about with a smoke machine is that you may need to have someone come in to deactivate the particulate sensors in the fire detection system.  This can be expensive, but not as much as trying to dry your theatre out after the sprinklers go off.
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

smarielle.goldstein

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: The University of Pittsburgh, USITT, SMA
  • Current Gig: ASM Intern with the Shakespeare Theatre Company for the upcoming 2010-2011 season
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2008, 01:43 pm »
Thanks everyone! I will take these to my director at our meeting this evening!!! Much appreciated!

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2008, 06:39 pm »
In almost every modern sprinkler system, each individual sprinkler is activated by the liquid in a glass capsule bursting due to the heat. This is the red color you see in the sprinkler. Fog is not hot enough to activate the sprinkler system in this type of installation. There are all sorts of different colors for different bursting temperature.

Thank you for the clarification!  I will amend my statement to say that turning off the particulate sensors may be easier than having to evacuate your theatre when the alarms go off.  (Especially if it is in the middle of a snow storm, which has happened at the theatre where I work.)

SSM
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

jmc

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2008, 01:58 am »
A good clue is to check with the venue Duty tech or Management on the procedure of isolating a detector zone, on stage &/or other areas that errant smoke may set off an alarm. Such as air return AC ducts & roof void detectors or the like, which the venue people should be able to advise on.
If you receive a rather blank look from them, a quick inspection of the main Fire alarm panel [FIP], as it will have the isolation instructions on the inside of the FIP door. Also there should be a fire Zone Map of the building, located adjacent to the Panel, which will correspond to the numbered zones on the FIP switch & indicator board.
As Mattciulla correctly posted the sprinkler system is activated by direct heat & not smoke. However if the venue is not fitted with a fire curtain [Iron], they may have a Deluge system behind the Pro arch. Which is normally needs to be activated by separate detectors, which can be either smoke, heat or both types - Which can be a trap for new players!
{The first fire heat detector was an actual block of butter, holding apart two plates. When it was hot enough to melt the block of butter, the plates closed together & activated the Iron [fire curtain] - these days they are either a manual operation or a fused link acting in much the same way as the butter.}
With smoke there is three types generally used in venues, these are Photoelectric, Ionisation or VESDA [very Early Smoke Detection Apparatus]. The later is an air sampling system, which is noticeable through out a venue, by runs of conduit, with 5mm holes visible along the pipes length.
Also to protect your own & the companies R Send as well. Ensure that the use of smoke, during the performance, is stated on yours & the Venue show specs.
Then it is down to the house to go thru the procedure, isolate the Zone, the Direct brigade Alarm [DBA] & notify the local Fire Service of the time period zones will be isolated for.
While this shifts the onus from the SM, it is always a good to add this to your 'idiot checks' list prior to the show. By ensuring it has been done, rather than panicking 2 seconds before the smoke cue. Which is always exciting when the realisation registers with you or you hear the alarm bells. The loading dock door flies open & all the soft hangings are sucked up by large roof exhaust fans, into the fly loft.
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2008, 02:12 am by jmc »
Tio Tio Chookas
{May you always play to a full house}
'Hear the light & see the sound'