Author Topic: DCTC Internship. Thoughts?  (Read 3292 times)

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
DCTC Internship. Thoughts?
« on: Mar 02, 2011, 06:47 pm »
Hi! I don't know if this is being posted in the right forum but I wondered, has anyone worked for Denver Center Theatre Company?  I hear wonderful things from actors who have worked there, but any SMs?  I secured my fall internship with DCTC (as a requirement in Rutgers SM Program our final academic year of study). I will be there from Aug-Jan.  In fact, I am going from working in Michigan from May-July to jumping right into going to Colorado and then back to school in New Jersey in January (which is, in and of itself, a new process for me: Changing locations consecutively!)

I chose to apply at this particular theater (among a select few others) because of the type of work the theater does, the size of the company, the opportunity (though I am experienced as a stage manager) to work in a regional LORT theater with professionals, and because it provided housing (though no stipend, which the places I looked into did not offer either. Playing the Housing vs. Stipend game for a part-season internship proved more challenging that I had thought).

So, any advice for me about the program? About Colorado?  This will be my first credit outside of Michigan and New Jersey, which is exciting for me as well.

:)

~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Re: DCTC Internship. Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:12 pm »
I don't know anything about the theatre, but I do know that Denver is an interesting climate. Being pretty high above sea level changes a lot of things-- how you breathe (and thus how hard it is to run around doing SM jobs), how things cook, all sorts of things.
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2011, 11:46 pm »
I learned more at DCTC in the 4 months I was an intern (and the following 7 years that I worked there) than I did in 4 years of college.  It was a really great place to work.  The hours can be kind of crazy, but their SM team is wonderful to work with, and the facility is one of the best in the country (shops, rehearsal spaces and offices all in the same building, which is across the street from the theatres.  Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Also, Denver is awesome...  Mountains, good weather, no bugs...  You can't beat it!  (can you tell that I miss it after the east coast winter this year??!)
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2011, 11:48 pm by ScooterSM »
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2011, 10:46 am »
Scooter,

I probably will PM you soon. Thank you for your help!

Amie
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

riotous