Author Topic: CANCELLED...?  (Read 3490 times)

callumsmith1234

• Tourist
    • View Profile
CANCELLED...?
« on: Feb 27, 2007, 02:08 pm »
Hey guys. Following on from my questions about chicago at my High school I was dealt a crushing blow yesterday. They think that theres too much to do in the time weve got (14 WEEKS!!!) and so have decided to abandon chicago and do a "Show with snippets of Chicago and any other performances people want to do" - Basically a glorified Talent show.

Obviously me and my friends (The cast) were really disapointed as they've all put a lot of work in. One of the worst parts was that they asked me to organise a meeting about "attendance" and then I turned up to hear them cancel the show, so the directors had basically lied to my face.

So in a peaceful act of protest, the lead girl (Roxie) made a list of dances done and still to do and showed it to the Musical Director. The MD said to make copies for the directors, so we did. And we also made a big poster "10 REASONS YOU SHOULD DO CHICAGO" and some people wrote on the directors whiteboard reasons why to continue. Nothing was imature, offensive or out of line, simply a protest as to how we feel. We had talked with one of the directors and the MD after the meeting (The other was out) and they were very apologetic and said that they would see what they could do.

So...This morining i went into my Drama class to start as normal, absolutely gutted. After a few minutes the director/teacher asked who was responisble for the "Unacceptable and disgusting poster and list". No one answered despite a lot of them being in the class. So I said, "well it was all of us". He then said "That is totally out of line and will never happen again, putting a poster on our door. Im not getting into an argument about it"

after class he called me over and i said that i was the one who instigated it. He said he didnt want to fall out but that i had to respect his expertise and explained to me what the new show was going to be (Crap). I provided all of my lines of argument and he basically said im not getting into an argument. Close to tears i left the class.

I know i probably shouldnt be getting so emotionally involved. But this show is the one reason that i am still in school (I was accepted for university and could have left). For them to cancel it without consulation, lie to me, tell me i was out of line for expressing my views and standing up for others makes me feel so angry and above all disapointed that it seems that this show wont continue.

Is there any advice you have for trying to get the show back on, to change their minds, or any opinions on what i did right/wrong/should do.

NB that another reason for the cancellation is the lack of a professional choreographer despite the fact we have £2000 to spend on the show :S

shatbox

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
Re: CANCELLED...?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2007, 11:19 pm »
If you're a student, there probably isn't much you can do anyway. Dunno. Pessimistic, i know. I want to see what others say.
Seek those with standards and meet them. Exceed them. Move forward. Set the standard.
iacosta@phillytheatreco.com

djemily

• New to Town
  • God said "GO", and then there was light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2007, 11:06 pm »
I'm guessing from your post that you are still in highschool. I may have an explanation for you. Our school put Chicago on our season for next year, and then found out that the producers haven't released the amateur rights yet. Meaning, they want to tour it and keep it in the professional theatre circuit. This may be a reason that you couldn't do it, and they figured that you guys wouldn't understand.

On another note, I did a converter and figured out that 2000 pounds is a little less than $4000 USD. To me, that's not a LOT of money to do a show. You can't spend all the money on the choreographer or you won't be able to build a set, costumes, or rent lights or anything else extra you may need  for the show. It gets pretty expensive, depending on how you do things. And Chicago is not a small show.

And even though Box was a little pessimistic, I think he was on to something. You are a student and I'm sure it was very difficult for the producers/directors to make the decision to cancel it, but I'm sure they have their reasons, and they probably aren't going to back down on their decision. I hope maybe I helped a little. I, too, am anxious to see what everyone else has to say.

callumsmith1234

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2007, 04:11 pm »
well, had a rehearsal/meeting today and they revealed that the 1st act is going to be some devised pieces and songs from other musicals based around the 7 deadly sins.

and then the 2nd act will be pieces from chicago all linked together,

so its not as bad as once thought, and they also revealed that it was as much to do with the lack of rights as anything else so we were all left asking the question "Why didnt you tell us that in the first place???" :S

I will keep any other problems posted
callum

riotous