Author Topic: Calling attention  (Read 11575 times)

Lucyinthesky

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Calling attention
« on: Oct 28, 2007, 07:02 pm »
Ok, so I could use a little bit of help.  I feel like for my experience I'm a good stage manager in most areas, but my weakest characteristic is that I'm naturally on the shy and quiet side.  I've noticed that I've gotten a lot more comfortable addressing a large cast with every new show, which is good.  However, I'm about to start working with what will probably be the largest cast yet, and even the director needs to call that many people's attention a few times to get everyone listening (this is high school theatre, by the way, which probably adds to it since students tend to be more prone to talking excitably over each other anyway).  I was wondering if any of you used any other method of getting the attention of a large cast besides just raising your voice?
(By the way, I'm not sure exactly how many people since we haven't started yet, but probably around 50 or so)

lauria

• Link Checker Supreme!
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Calling attention
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2007, 07:32 pm »
I've been very tempted to get a whistle for large casts to use when it's out of control. And if I'm going to get a whistle, I want it to be a cool one, like a Bobby's whistle: http://www.musichouseshop.com/store/iw-11001.html.

Other than that, if they'll go for it, you could try one of those hand raising things like they do at camps. But high school is a difficult age to get them do do that because they don't want to look "dumb." But if it's an EXCLUSIVE drama club thing, then maybe they'll feel special and like it. :-P

erin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.obscure.org/~nimue/resume.html
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2007, 08:51 pm »
It's annoying and would be condescending for adults, but a whistle is an effective way to get the attention of a large group of people.

Once, during a showcase, when i needed to get the attention of a lobby full of stranger, i resorted to standing on a chair.   As soon as people saw me climb up, they all turned around and stared, and attention was had. 

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2007, 10:12 pm »
Try clapping loudly as you also loudly say whatever you need to.  For example, several loud claps and then saying "let's get started please" has been very successful for me, and I don't feel like I am condescending to the actors.

(I have always felt like a squirt gun would be an effective tool for silencing actors who talk during rehearsal, but that is just in my secret SM fantasy land... :D)
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

JDL

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2007, 10:40 pm »
I have 3 ways 1. Looking annoyed, 2. The Whistle, and 3. Yelling. I've found that actors really hate the sound of whistles, so... if you try getting their attention by talking and it doesn't work, then blow the whistle. Next time they hear you they'll stop talking b/c if they don't then they know what's coming next!

I've also found that standing tall and firm with a straight face lets the cast know that it's my turn to talk. I'm on the same page when it comes to being shy. But having a cast of 45 this summer quickly cured my shyness!

Best of Luck!
AlL tHe WoRlD's A sTaGe... AnD i'M oFf BoOk!

BWEEVEED

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2007, 11:22 pm »
Not sure how well this would work out but we got a microphone set up so I was naturally louder than everyone put together so there was no way they could ignore what I was saying.

Whistles work too. Or because I'm still a student having the director giving them a talking to helps.
If the world is a stage then we rule the world.

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2007, 12:17 am »
To each their own, but I would never blow a whistle at a group of adults.  Treat them like the adults they are, not like the children the can behave like.  By treating people with respect you always walk away knowing your standards are intact.

Yes, you do have to come out of your shell in order to get attention.  First and foremost, dress nicely and look like an authority figure from the get go.  Saying loudly, "Ladies and Gentlemen, quiet please" has always worked for me, in companies across the country.  If that doesn't work I'll clap my hands twice and repeat myself.  I've never had to resort to anything beyond that.

It's human nature for a bored group of people to stand around and talk, and although it's irritating to us, I find gentle reminders to be more helpful than angry confrontations.   Remember that angry confrontations come off as a power trip, and if that's how you choose to be percieved, that's certainly your choice, but I've never found it to be helpful.

We are "the iron fist in the velvet glove" . . . . .
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

erin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.obscure.org/~nimue/resume.html
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2007, 12:24 am »
To each their own, but I would never blow a whistle at a group of adults.  Treat them like the adults they are, not like the children the can behave like.  By treating people with respect you always walk away knowing your standards are intact.

Well, she's asking about dealing with high school students, and 50 hormonal teenagers hardly qualifies as a group of adults :)   Chatty students tend to be MUCH less aware of the authority figure trying to pass on important information than professional adults.

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2007, 12:50 am »
I can see what you are saying, Erin, and I don't envy the situation.

When I was in high school I once had the idea of blowing a whistle and was promptly told by the cast to not blow that whistle again, "because they are not dogs".  I saw their point of view, and also saw that I had immediately lost the respect of my co-workers.  This cast may respond differently, but I think by bringing joy, kindness, and respect with us into the rehearsal hall, we help create a creative atmosphere. 

This may sound like I'm about to go bake a cake made out of rainbows (anyone catch the MEAN GIRLS reference?), but I think dealing with actors as co-workers, understanding their concerns, treating them with respect has bought me extra leeway down the line when the diva's rehearsal shoes don't show up on time, etc.

It's just my suggestion.
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2007, 01:01 am »
I like to use a bell.  I find the "ding" is a lot less condescending than a whistle could be viewed, and combined with getting up on a chair it works for me.

Good luck!

row

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2007, 01:23 am »
Working with large casts (98 members this last show) of high school students myself, I have to agree with sievep on this one.  I find that when other members of our stage management use excessive force, such as blowing whistles and yelling when not needed, they get less respect form the actors.  This causes them to have to uses even more force to get their attention. 

I think when you can build a positive working relationship with the actors they will be much more likely to listen when you speak, and when they don't a slight raise of voice or change in stance (physical apperence) will do the trick.

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2007, 01:26 am »
I have 3KW worth of stage monitors.
We don't need any stinking whistles.
 ;)
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2007, 06:07 am »
Novelty whistles are always great (IMO) - I have 3, one is a 'loony toons' whoooping whistle (which is my pride and joy - cost $100, and was bought specifically for a pantomine), one is a duck whistle, and the other is a ramped whistle.

I would take a few "toys" along to rehearsals that make a few weird and whacky sounds, and hold a vote. I had a rubber duck for one show, and he quickly became the show mascot (called Geoff). I had another show that had the vibraslap (90% of the votes due to its name I would say), and another that I used a small bell tree.

The key is to indicate that you want to make it a little bit more fun, and less demeaning than blowing a whistle like you would for a dog. The fact that what you are doing is the same thing, only with a different instrument should be left out of the conversation.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2007, 10:47 am »
This probably won't do you any good for your current production, but if you continue in this field and go on to college, I would highly reccomend taking voice production classes ("the speaking voice" or whatever is offered for actors) -- you'll (should be to)learn to make how to make you're voice loud enough to be heard in any venue without "screaming" or artificial amplification.

Will you have any assistants?  When I was directing a large cast in high school (approx. 100), I found that as long as my assistants (all strong personalities themselves) were on the same page as me we could work together to get the casts' attention.

Perhaps the A/V in your school could help you get a G-d mic setup for rehearsals.  Probably less grating than a whistle.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2007, 11:24 am »
I have stage managed large groups of children ranging from age 5 to 18.  I have never used a whistle and probably only once yelled.  I usually would clap loudly and raise my hand.  Even if all the kids didn't join in the hand-raising, it still got people's attention.