Author Topic: Broadway payscales  (Read 11908 times)

youngthespian

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Broadway payscales
« on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:19 pm »
Does anyone know how much broadway actors/stage managers get paid weekly? Also is anyone a big fan of A Chorus Line and know about the revival they are doing which opens in San Francisco before broadway? IF you know about it I would like to know how I could get in touch with someone involved to be able to ASM, or light/sound operate for the show.

Estie
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008, 01:01 pm by PSMKay »

EJR

• New to Town
    • View Profile
broadway
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2005, 07:12 pm »
Here is the information from AEA on Production Contract salaries.  These are the minimum salaries

6/27/05
Actor  $1,422
SM (Musical) $2,338
SM (Dramatic) $2,010
1st ASM (Musical) $1,849
1st ASM (Dramatic) $1,642
2nd ASM (Musical)  $1,544

carebear3885q

• New to Town
    • View Profile
broadway
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2006, 10:07 am »
thats for a week?!
Carrie

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
NYC is expensive
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2006, 11:44 am »
Yeah - its just that expensive to live in NYC.  It'll take a week or two week's worth of pay to pay your rent (in a small apartment if you live without several roommates), and then you almost need to save another week just to pay to park your car if you've got one.  That second one is a joke - but it is expensive in the City.  I remember the first time I did a show in Philadelphia - we were put up in an extended stay hotel, so I had gone to the grocery store and freaked out over how expensive cereal was - it was over twice as much as I'd pay back home in the Midwest.  Then the actors who lived in NYC came in, went to the same grocery store, and were very impressed with how cheap cereal was.

Its one of the reasons why I've never wanted to live/work in NYC.  Yeah, the pay is more but that's balanced out by the much higher cost of living - everything is twice as expensive as other areas of the country (not counting the west coast - which is as expensive).  Its just not for this mid-west girl.

-Centaura

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
broadway
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2006, 06:29 pm »
From what I have heard of working broadway, you are best off getting yourself an agent (yes, agents are not just for actors). There are some which deal with stage managers (and other positions), and it takes a lot of the stress out of the job. I am not talking your "hollywood star" type one on one agent, but rather one of the ones where you meet them a few times, give them your resume then 2 weeks later out of the blue get a call "Be at x and y at 2:30 for an interview to work on ______". I temped in one between shows for 2 months and a lot of unadvertised positions were made available at the agency, some companies for example, worked exclusively through them.

However, that said, before you jump in the deep end, do you have a good professional grounding? By many, broadway is considered the pinacle of positions to hold - even some AU SM's aspire to work on broadway in the US or UK.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
broadway
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2006, 07:53 pm »
really? That surprises me - after working with a 'tallent recruitment agency' for a few months, I saw a couple of the bigger shows call us, and we also kept an eye on all the usual channels and advised (and made) applications for clients when they did not approach us (one of my jobs was to scour the arts job pages for positions that fit within the scope of our clients for example)

Maybe that is an Aussy thing...

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
stage manager agents
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2006, 09:56 pm »
there are perhaps one or two stage managers who have agents, but most of them I know do mostly industrials and not so much broadway.

In the end it is all about personal contacts.

Quite frankly, I don't want to pay 10% of my salary to an agent.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.