Author Topic: Bows  (Read 23018 times)

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Bows
« Reply #30 on: Jul 26, 2007, 06:43 pm »
It is done on Corteo. I have friends from the original crew - two are my current roommates. They appreciated the gesture. Cirque touring shows, especially Corteo and Quidam (where I worked), are quite technical and run with very small crews. The crew is very much a family and the instinct is to recognize them. I enjoy that they made the nod but felt the crew high fiving across the stage was a bit amateurish.

I have an excellent crew who run an amazing show each night. The only time they have been onstage was for the 6,000th show. The artists stepped into the house and the entire crew stepped out onstage to take a bow. That was nice, but a very special occasion and truly a celebration of the great people that have kept our show around for 13 years. I would certainly not want to do it every night.

I feel fully appreciated in each and every one of our standing ovations even if I am standing behind the audience.

I was going to mention that I've seen it done on every Cirque show that I've seen.  However, I've never seen it done anywhere else here in the U.S., except for elementary and middle-school shows.   

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #31 on: Jul 27, 2007, 12:43 am »
Once upon a time, in a land far, far away (also known as internships) I worked wardrobe on a production of A Tuna Christmas.  The director forced the crew to come out for a bow at the end of curtain call, against all of our pleading to not have to do it.

Other than that, I haven't really seen it done.
SSM
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #32 on: Jul 27, 2007, 03:30 am »
I am wondering if it is an outgrowth of the weird practice of applauding the audience - where the focus is thrown straight out front - perhaps that is what evolved into a booth call. Curious, since people seem to have been trained either that it was either rude, or essential, to applaud/thank the audience. So maybe this weird new thing grew out of that?

GalFriday

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
  • Current Gig: Programmer for Hire
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #33 on: Jul 27, 2007, 06:21 pm »
I was going to mention that I've seen it done on every Cirque show that I've seen.  However, I've never seen it done anywhere else here in the U.S., except for elementary and middle-school shows.   

Corteo is the only Cirque show I have seen it done. It is definitely not done on the shows in Vegas (the example at Mystere was once in 13 years) or Quidam. I have not seen the other touring shows. I did mention this discussion with my roommate and she mentioned that although the bow on Corteo was cool at first - it was not for long. The crew HATE doing this bow now.
"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" - Stephen Sondheim

JenniferS.

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Ithaca College
  • Current Gig: Interning at the Finborough Theatre in London
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #34 on: Jul 27, 2007, 10:11 pm »
The crew at my high school comes out for curtain call at the very end and the cast also gestures to the booth.

For a high school production I think it's appropriate, but I haven't seen it done at all high school shows I've seen and I've never seen it done at any professional shows I've been to.

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Aug 01, 2007, 11:42 am »

Corteo is the only Cirque show I have seen it done. It is definitely not done on the shows in Vegas (the example at Mystere was once in 13 years) or Quidam. I have not seen the other touring shows. I did mention this discussion with my roommate and she mentioned that although the bow on Corteo was cool at first - it was not for long. The crew HATE doing this bow now.

They did it on "O" when I saw it... although it might have just been the scuba divers, I can't remember.  It's true, Mystere and Quidam were so long ago, I can't remember if the crew bowed, so I believe you.  I personally would hate taking a bow.  I'd rather get things done.

GalFriday

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
  • Current Gig: Programmer for Hire
« Reply #36 on: Aug 01, 2007, 09:43 pm »
Ahhh...the scuba divers at O do "Accidentally" ride the lift up each show. It happened in error during a tech run and Dragone kept it in the show, bless, I never thought if it as a bow but it is true they are out there  :) and they do get applause.  - D
"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" - Stephen Sondheim

philimbesi

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Aug 02, 2007, 09:45 am »
Cast Gesturing: The community theater I work with gestures to the orchestra and the booth, but that's community theater.     I've never seen it done at a professional level.  I actually don't know how I'd react if I did.   Knowing the job and how much work it is, I'd want to clap but at a professional level I think I'd be appalled by how unprofessional and tacky it is. 

Crew Bow:  Even at the community level we don't do this.  There is a high school in my area that gives it's crew a bow after the leads are done, right before the company bow, a booming voice comes over the speakers saying "Ladies and Gentlemen the [name of school] stage crew."  Then like 10 to 25 kids stumble out on stage looking like a dungeons and dragons game just let out...  ;D  It's beyond tacky... almost awkward.

I've always thought that crew should be not seen not heard, but felt, and that the applause the show gets during the company bow, is good enough.   Besides I'll take Guinness over applause any day.   ;D

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #38 on: Aug 02, 2007, 03:09 pm »
It's beyond tacky... almost awkward.

But at least Mum and Dad (Who really didn't want to go and see the show, but felt obligated as their Son/Daughter was on the crew) get to see their child on stage.
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2007, 11:52 pm by Mac Calder »

RobertMillsSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: ASM for "The Illusionists 1903" 2015/16 Australian Tour
« Reply #39 on: Aug 03, 2007, 03:31 pm »
I disagree with the comments about the audience understanding the gesture. I think that most theatre goers understand that they are applauding the orchestra when the cast gestures towards the pit and that they are applauding the crew when the cast gestures towards the booth.

I am not in favor of the crew taking a formal bow. (I don't know how many actually are in support of this. We chose a backstage job - partly for the fact we don't have to be seen.)

And as far as the gesture to the crew, I have seen it done on many performances - community, regional, and professional - on all show nights, not just closing night or special occasions.

With regards to the integrity of the show, the show is over at this point. Second, all shows will continue to grow a little once the director has left. This gesture can be apart of this growth as the cast begins to appreciate the crew more and more. The small action does not take away from the directors vision. It is not our job to overpolice the cast and inhibit them from making the show as best as possible.

And lastly, the magic of the theatre is very powerful. Whether you just watch from a distance or live it everyday, it can still amaze and overtake you. But you must also remember that the magic is really only meant to work during the show. The curtain call is not the characters bowing, it is the cast that is bowing. The show is over and the magic is finished for that performance. It will linger with you as you wonder how things were done, but this is the point for recognition. If it suits your fancy - you can consider the gesture to the booth a gesture to the magic of theatre (which is usually created by the crew).

Just some food for thought.

butch

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Aug 03, 2007, 04:38 pm »
Still, in the equity handbook, it says "appear in curtain calls as directed." The director staged a curtain call within his/her vision, and changes to that vision are still beyond the normal growth of a show. I have no problem with a gesture, as long as it was directed to be there. If not, I don't believe that we are doing our job properly if we allow it to stay...

Psychedelictheatre

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Aug 11, 2007, 04:09 pm »
On most of my school musicals the cast will take a bow for themselves, and then gesture to the Orchestra, another bow for themselves, gesture to the booth, and then open their arms to the audience before taking their last bow.

Because the booth is just some black painted stage blocks with a couple of tables (with some black serge drapes to hide the tangle of cables underneath :P) at the back, the LX and Sound guys (usually myself and a friend) are very 'in the audience' and usually the audience will turn and look at us when we are gestured towards.

I guess it's a nice touch, but not entirely in my image of 'professional'.

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #42 on: Aug 19, 2007, 01:37 pm »
We receive a hand gesture to the booth as acknowledgment to the SM/Crew... but that's about it.  Everyone is right by saying if you're looking for the credit, you're in the wrong job.  You just have to know that you've done well and know that you helped in making sure that the show was a complete success... that's the way I look at it.  I kinda take the audience appreciation toward the cast as my bow or acknowledgment... the applause and/or standing ovations are of course for them, but I know that I had a hand in that... and knowing that the audience enjoyed the show and that it was successful is the only bow you need.
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

deletedoldnotanymore

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Aug 24, 2007, 08:32 pm »
The only time I have seen acknowledging the booth is in Fringe Festival (Minnesota) performances, where the technician is running 4-5 shows, order, amount, etc... changing, everyday day for 10 days, other than that, there has been one production I have worked on where a crew bow was planned on, but that was cut, because we (the crew) had to be backstage and hold together a few platforms as the lead ran across them while changing dresses.  Instead we, as a crew, in a circle took a bow together as the cast took theirs, and sung the last line of the curtain call, then ran to our appropriate stations to do house lights, and clean.

mvmendelson

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #44 on: Aug 27, 2007, 01:12 pm »
Normally, my casts don't acknowledge me.  Last night, we closed Twelfth Night and all of my principals saluted me before exiting the stage.

riotous