Author Topic: BFA SM Students or Students who entered college knowing they wanted to be a SM  (Read 8624 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
So, in a series of conversations with stage managers, I realized there are those who picked this career and pursued it and those who sort of fell into it.  I don't think there is any right way to get into this business.

I, for personal and professional reasons, would like to find a couple of students who are currently in a BFA program or BA program, but knew they wanted to Stage Manager in the last years of high schools.  I want to ask some questions to help open my mind a bit.

It would be sort of a casual, informative on-line conversation.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

billykano

• New to Town
    • View Profile
I did. ask away.

rgkelle

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Illinois State University
  • Current Gig: Striking 12 @ BoHo Theatre
  • Experience: College/Graduate

aquadrama

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Adelphi University
I did as well. I'd be happy to answer questions.

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
I've just started my first year (hence the long absence from the boards), but ask me a question and I'll give you an answer.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
Thanks for the response thus far, the answers have been very informative.  I look forward to my conversations continuing. 

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Kate McC.

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Stage Management intern on Rent at Syracuse Stage
And I as well, though i "fell into it" in high school but applied to colleges specifically for stage management.

I'd be happy to answer and questions.
Katherine McC.
Syracuse University; Dept. of Drama
B.F.A. Stage Management
NY Alpha Chapter of Pi Beta Phi

macSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
although I am out of school, I also knew going into school that I wanted to be a Stage Manager
living the dream...

JECSM

• New to Town
  • "IMPOSSIBLE? WE'RE DOING IT!"
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: TTS at DePaul: Intimate Apparel, The Death of Gaia Divine
I fell into it in high school, loved it, and am now in my first year of a BFA Stage Management program. Totally open for questions.

JenniferS.

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Ithaca College
  • Current Gig: Interning at the Finborough Theatre in London
I also fell into it about sophomore year of high school, and now I'm a junior in college very nearly finished with my BA. Questions are welcome!

BenTheStageMan

• Contributor
  • Sometimes all you need in life is a little Blue.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Olney Theatre Center, Olney MD
I wanted to be a SM since senior year of High School.  I'm a Junior getting a BA in Arts Administration, but I'm still planning on pursuing a career in stage management.  So I'd be willing to answer any questions about that.
"Show people are doomed!  Doomed to a life of booze...and pills...and heavy meals late at night!" -Judy, "Ruthless!"

ZTucker

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: ASM at Central Sq Theater
I was bit the bug in high school, and am now applying to BFA Stage Management programs in the New England area.... ask away!

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
I'm out of school, but also entered a BFA program (one without a SM track even..) knowing I wanted to be a stage manager
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
Hey thanks for the response.

Now that I have asked a couple of people questions, let me modify who I would like to ask questions.  Please private me with a response if you are interested.

Looking to talk  someone who made the decision in high school (prior to college) to enter a BFA or specialize in Stage Management while inside the university setting, but currently should be a couple of years outside of school - working as stage manager or not.

I think that should me get the insight I am looking for (pre-college, college and post-college perspectives).

Thanks aging.  Shoot me a private if I have not privated you questions yet.  Thanks.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
Okay . . . here's the next step.

Looking to talk  someone who made the decision in high school (prior to college) to enter a BFA or specialize in Stage Management while inside the university setting, but currently should be a couple of years outside of school - and has made the decision not to be a stage manager or not to work in theatre at all.

I know, I am looking for the answers in a Stage Management forum.

riotous