Author Topic: Bad ASM's  (Read 10756 times)

Robert Cott

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Emerson College
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Bad ASM\'s
« Reply #15 on: Apr 15, 2015, 09:24 am »
As annoying as it can be to have a "bad" ASM in high school, you have to keep in mind that it is high school. As a high school student myself who was in a similar situation earlier this year I understand what you are saying. I try to maintain a certain level of professionalism in any show I work on, but this can obviously be hard if you have an ASM who isn't 100% invested the same way you are. My advice is just to do the best you can to teach your ASM what they need to know. Try to have meetings with her to check in and see how she is doing.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2015, 12:19 pm by PSMKay »

mikayla.contreras

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: Bad ASM's
« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2015, 07:33 pm »
I don't know of any high schools that do teach proper stage management at a professional level. I ASM'd for the first time as a freshman in college with no stage management experience and I learned. My SM, my director, designers and other stage managers in the department taught me things and I learned. So I wouldn't complain about how your ASM doesn't know anything. If I were you, I'd have her shadow me and I would teach her in the process. Honestly, having an assistant is about training them to do your job, is it not? So, this is technically your responsibility to make sure she learns the things she needs.

kenny.cole

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: Bad ASM's
« Reply #17 on: Oct 27, 2015, 12:36 pm »
I don't think that having an unskilled ASM is an issue here, it is high school after all. If she doesn't know what tech is, this is the perfect opportunity to learn! The real issue is that they're disrupting the rehearsal environment. I think taking the time to invest in her training as a stage manager would not only benefit her, but it would also make you a more skilled SM going into university. Part of the SMs job is to work and delegate with ASMs. She may not know what appropriate rehearsal etiquette is, so use this as an opportunity to teach her. Good luck!

riotous