Author Topic: Auditions  (Read 4371 times)

Kelly

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Auditions
« on: Jul 28, 2006, 01:14 am »
Hey all,

I am a sophomore theatre major and I'm going to be stage managing a show in the fall (hopefully Godspell).  The show will be the first show I have ever have to be in the house as the auditions are going on.  What do I do?  I've stage managed before but was thrown in at the last minute after auditions were over and I'm a little nervous.  Do you have any tips or can someone explain what I have to do.  I have a general idea but I'd like a little more information if that's possible. 

Thanks!

Kelly.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2006, 01:17 am by Kelly »

nmno

Re: Auditions
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2006, 03:11 am »
First, there has been a brief discussion about running auditions in another topic, so check this out and see if it answers your questions: http://smnetwork.org/forum/index.php?topic=922.0  (If that didn't work, use the search feature for "auditions"...)

Additionally, I would suggest checking with someone (ie. whoever told you that you are to be present at the auditions, stage mgmt head, department handbook, director..) and find out what THEY see your duties as.  We here can speculate but, especially in a school setting, their expectations for you could be anywhere on a wide spectrum. 

JenniferEver

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2006, 02:48 pm »
What to do at auditions?

Ask the director/producer what they expect.

In my college, the SM would be responsible for getting everyone's paperowrk filled out, calling people into the room and keeping auditioners updated on what was going on time-wise and reporting to the director aboutwhether another actor came late, or had to leave by a certan time, etc. Basically just running around and organizing paperwork. In my company we had a set auditon form that we used for every show, but you might be expected to make one. You may also be expected to print and post the cast list and/or contact the actors.

sarahdk

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2006, 09:35 pm »
It really depends what your director/producer wants you doing. In my experience, I have been expected to sit in on all of the auditions and sometimes I'm just outside ushering people in and out and doing a lot of crowd control.

fuzzy_7

• Contributor
  • Hooray for Beer!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2006, 06:54 pm »
I have stage managed auditions. Usually, they give you the menial tasks of paperwork and bringing in auditioners.
Derek A. Fuzzell

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2006, 08:04 pm »
Also- be upbeat and friendly to all the auditioners- chances are that you're the last person they see before they audition... a last smile could make a difference!   :)

riotous