Author Topic: At what point to bring your own headset?  (Read 4502 times)

sarahkhart

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
At what point to bring your own headset?
« on: May 14, 2017, 07:01 pm »
Hello Everyone,

For graduation, my family gave me a really nice headset as I have been working as a stage manager for a little over four years now. However, I will still be working as an intern until November at a theatre where I have never worked before. When would be an appropriate time to use it? Just don't want to be strange or appear snobbish or anything. Should I wait until I have a non-internship contract somewhere else? Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 07:21 pm by sarahkhart »

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: At what point to bring your own headset?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 09:34 pm »
I would start using it at the first tech! No point in putting it off. It's a thoughtful gift- I wouldn't find that snobbish.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 01:04 am »
Nothing weird about it! Use it whenever!
Honestly I've worked at several theaters where someone says "Oh you have your own headset? Awesome! We don't have enough lightweights for everybody on the crew, so-and-so will be so happy because they always get stuck with the big clunky one."
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 02:37 am »
ASAP! My husband got me a lightweight when I was an intern, and I was SO THANKFUL. On my first show I was stuck with a huge head squeezer, so it was fantastic to have my own for my second show.

As bex mentioned already, it can make things easier, since a lot of companies don't carry a bunch of lightweight headsets. The only thing to be careful about is if you're on wireless, and the packs aren't specifically assigned, you will want want to unplug your headset at the end of each night. Several years back my company didn't label the wireless packs, and I didn't like taking the chance that my personal headset would end up on someone else's head. So, after you turn your pack off, unplug your headset and store it until the next show.

Of course, if you're on wired, then it doesn't matter.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 01:36 pm »
The other thing is, depending on where you are, how loud is the show. I have been in some theatres where I want those big muffs so I can hear myself, or my ASMs, or anything over music. So bring 'em along, and see what you can hear before you refuse to use alternatives.

riotous