Author Topic: Asked to make way for a freshman?  (Read 2894 times)

bkrst275

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Gig: Opera
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Asked to make way for a freshman?
« on: Nov 19, 2014, 01:10 am »
Hi, everyone. I need your help on a difficult issue.

I am a sophomore stage management student at a small university. I have a few shows under my belt at this school, two serving as ASM, and two as SM. I am scheduled to SM a production next semester for our small, student-run company (at my school, we have 4-6 main stage shows per year through the theatre department in addition to a few other shows through a 100% student-run company). The company's PM e-mailed me asking if I would be willing to give up this position to a freshman who just changed their major to stage management. My concerns are A) Do they have enough experience to be SMing a show right away? Should they maybe ASM a show and work their way up first? And B) I was really looking forward to working on this particular production. Not only do I like the show and the people I'll be working with, but I also feel like I need more experience SMing in an educational setting before trying to find opportunities in the professional world. Will I look like a jerk if I just say no for personal reasons?

Patlienemann

• New to Town
  • Hello!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Wayne State University
  • Current Gig: Rapture, Blister, Burn - Matrix Theatre (Detroit)
Re: Asked to make way for a freshman?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2014, 10:24 am »
I've kind of been in this situation before in university...

You raise some good points about said freshmen maybe needing to ASM first, but if the PM is confident then there is a reason he/she asked for you to give up the position.
Also, you are only a sophomore - there are two more years of SMing ahead of you.

However... that is a bit of a bad situation.  It's not entirely fair for you to be asked to move, and if you are asked then you do have the option of saying no and if they want to move you bad enough they will.  Ask the PM if maybe they can shadow you or ASM for you... or if you let them SM you could mentor them.  These are all great option, but education for all is always great :D

Best of luck!

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2014, 02:20 am »
I will say a situation like this is coming up at my company. The dancers are questioning the casting decisions of the artistic staff, as they feel others may be better suited for roles, or they may not be. Even in a union company (as stated in the contract) casting is always the decision of the artistic director. It's not up the talent to question whether or not someone is right for a role.

The same goes for those of us on the production side. Unless the company is a co-op and you are a partner who has equal say in who gets selected for which position, it is ultimately the PM's decision as to who is a SM, ASM, etc. You don't know this student's background, and it's also not your place to judge their ability. It's generous that the PM is asking you if you would be willing to allow this other student an opportunity. Unless you signed a contract for the position for next semester, they can change their minds and select someone else. Don't think about the other student - focus on yourself and why you want to keep the position.

If you feel you really want to SM the project, state the reasons why you want to stay with it. Don't talk about the fact that the other person is a freshman, a recent major, or has a lack of experience - in truth - that person doesn't matter right now, you do. Who knows, the PM may recognize your passion and decide to keep you in the SM position and decide themselves that the other person should be the ASM. Or perhaps they feel you are strong enough for other things. Just be honest, but focus on yourself.

I myself was a recent switch to a technical theater major - I had only been a minor in theatrical studies. I got put on a show my freshman year. None of the other students knew me, nor did they know my personal experience SM'ing musicals, straight plays, being a performer, musician, etc in high school and in community theater before coming to college. Don't judge - we all have to learn some time. What better place than in the safety of an educational setting?

bkrst275

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Gig: Opera
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2014, 12:47 am »
Thank you both. I have replied to the PM's e-mail and told him I was not comfortable giving up the position. So far, no response, so I'll just have to wait and see how this turns out.

riotous