Author Topic: Should I give it a shot?  (Read 2780 times)

EntrlySmooth28

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Should I give it a shot?
« on: Oct 20, 2009, 12:23 pm »
I have always been highly interested in Musical Theatre and have put thought into trying my hand at becoming a Stage Manager professionally. I'm in college now, and did stage managing on a very basic level in High School productions. I'm thinking to transferring to Western Michigan University and starting their Theatre program since I live in Michigan.

I know I have the people skills to be able to make the connections I need to make when they come up... What does it take/what are the chances of making it into large-scale productions in the future? Is it a solid market to find a way to make a living off of?

...on a logical note: Should I take the chance and make this a career option? not just a passion?

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Should I give it a shot?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2009, 07:43 pm »
Have you thought about getting some hands-on professional theater stage management experience before deciding to transfer and starting fresh?   If your college or area has any kind of theater, getting involved there might be a good way to start.  Or maybe there’s a way to to an internship during intersession or the summer.  Keep in mind too that there are plenty of people working in theater with degrees in another area.    It doesn’t have to be all or nothing.

With a career in stage management, expect the same kind of lifestyle that you’d have as an actor.   Whether it’s a solid markert or not depends on how you define solid.  You need a high tolerance for change and uncertainty to be happy with this as a career.  Even if you’re an amazing SM, there’s no guarantee you’ll have year-round work, or work that pays enough to live on, just like a talented actor might go a year without being cast. There are  other threads on here with thoughts about making it to broadway, if that’s what you mean by large-scale.  But remember that success and a sense of accomplish aren’t necessarily defined by the size of your productions.    Stage Management has been my bread and butter for more than six years, but it’s not for everyone.   There are some threads here about people’s plan B, or about transitioning out of SM’ing; you should check out those too as you think this over.  Generally I'd only suggest a career in stage management to someone who really isn't happy doing anything else, because there are just way to many downsides if you don't love it. 
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

Kristi

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2009, 08:23 pm »
I attended WMU as sort of a non-traditional stage management student. I have a degree in Dance but I spent a lot of time in the theatre department. My twin sister graduated with a Stage Management degree from Western as well. If you have any questions about the department feel free to PM me!

EntrlySmooth28

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2009, 12:02 pm »
What would you say would be the best way to get some hands on experience on my free time? There isn't much that I know of around Detroit, MI...