Author Topic: Actors Talking to Designers  (Read 3227 times)

kellyaksm

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Actors Talking to Designers
« on: Aug 29, 2013, 01:24 pm »
I'm a student stage manager who is also one of the props coordinators at my university. I'm currently working on props for a show with a professor who is acting in the show. This professor apparently doesn't think her character would be using props that have already been approved by the director and designer and is now contacting the props department herself to complain about some of the props. (Such as she doesn't think her character would use this type of notebook, etc.) From my work as a stage manager I know this isn't the right way to go about solving this problem but I don't know how to tell the professor this (because she should know that she should go through the stage manager). To make matters worse the stage manager for the show has never stage managed before and constantly forgets to send the prop shop notes so I don't know how long she has been upset for or if she has already tried to go through the stage manager. So how do I tell this professor (who I might work with in the future) that she needs to be going through the stage manager and director for stuff like this? And how do I help this new stage manager remember to send prop notes to me?

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
Re: Actors Talking to Designers
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2013, 02:03 pm »
A lot of actors are very picky about their props.  I have memories of stealing a variety of stones from a gas station exterior to find the "perfect" stone for an actress in Cripple of Inishmaan.

Often in such cases, it's easier for the actor to discuss these needs directly with the props person. Obviously the director and SM need to be in the loop.  You as the props person are probably WAY more organized and WAY more apt to snap a quick photo and keep them in the loop than the actor is.  Often props and costumes end up being an emotional issue for an actor when the director isn't that picky.

Let the actor go through their process and keep the team in the loop.  The SM and the director will probably be happy to not have to deal with it.

Just imagine the stone... NO ONE cared about the stone.  Except the one actress... Everyone was happy to let her talk directly to the props person (me).

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2013, 06:53 pm »
I agree with Jessie_k, but I want to reiterate the importance of keeping the SM & the director informed on any conversations you have with the actor.  You never want to change anything without letting them know, because there will always be that ONE THING that the director decides to be picky about.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2013, 08:59 pm »
Arrange a meeting with the actor, director, stage manager, picky actor/ professor and yourself. Let picky actor bring up concerns and have a discussion. Remember, it's unwise and unprofessional to challenge a director in the room repeatedly especially when you're trying to teach students how professional plays work. This picky actor probably wants to talk to their colleague about this but may not know how to broach the subject.

If you present this to the Sm and director as a conversation you'd like input on, the final decision will still rest where it always belongs: the director, but now the picky actor may have a better understanding as to why it is the way it is.

Something to mull over in your head: actors who react poorly about props are occasionally uncomfortable somewhere else in the production. They will elect to try to control something (ie props) to regain a modicum of control.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2013, 10:01 pm by nick_tochelli »