Author Topic: COMMUNICATION: What to say when they're late...  (Read 2834 times)

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
COMMUNICATION: What to say when they're late...
« on: Mar 04, 2015, 03:10 pm »
So, I'm trying to figure out what I'm saying that's so funny, whenever a cast member calls to let me know they're running late. (Luckily, I can generally get them to do that part of it!)

It's usual something like, "Okay, thanks for letting me know. Get here as soon as you can, get your mic on, and come out on stage for sound check as soon as you arrive. Give me a call at {10 minutes after they were supposed to be here} if you're still en route."

And then, about 75% of the time, they laugh. Not mean laugh, just laugh, like I've said something joking, and they get the joke. I am very confused.

So, what does everyone else say to their casts, when they call you let you know they're running late?

Edited to add topic tag. - Maribeth
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2015, 03:19 am by Maribeth »
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

SMAshlee

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Porchlight Music Theatre
Re: What to say when they're late...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:06 pm »
I usually keep it very short on the phone. Chances are a laundry list of the obvious things they should do when they arrive sometimes isn't received well. My response is, "Thank you for letting me know. Please see me as soon as you arrive. How soon will you be here?" They respond. And I say again, "Please see me when you arrive."

In the mean time, I alert anyone this may affect if they are going to be significantly late (sound, wardrobe). Once the person arrives and is standing in front of me, I give them the list of expectations/schedule changes.

Hope this helps!

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2015, 10:35 am »
I'd say the joke that you're missing is the long series of instructions you're giving them. It's a lot of info.

SMAshlee is right about short and sweet. Tell them to get there as soon as possible and keep you posted. Check in with you or an ASM as soon as they arrive so you know they're in the building. If you want to tell your ASMs the remainder of that message (get in mic and go for sound check) then that might work. There's no need to stress out an already late/stressed out actor by telling them what they'll have to do the instant they arrive in the theater.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:35 pm »
It may also be the nervous laughter of relief if they were expecting either abuse or a firing.

Michelle R. Wood

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • website
  • Affiliations: EMC, East Carolina University
  • Current Gig: Resident Stage Manager at Temple Theatre
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2015, 09:16 am »
I'd agree regarding nervous laughter: people often use laughter as an escape valve when they don't know how else to respond politely (audiences anyone?) I usually just thank the person for calling, get an ETA, and say something like "Drive safely." Usually the person is nervous/upset/frantic, so I find calming them down is important.

Of course, if it's a repeat offender, then there are probably words after the show or in a later phone call. ;)
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." -- Thomas Edison (Harper's Magazine, 1932)