Author Topic: PROMPT BOOK: Organization?  (Read 11038 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: PROMPT BOOK: Organization?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2010, 12:11 pm »
When I do put everything in one binder, I oddly put the script in the middle.  It just seems to lay better . ..  but mind you, my scripts usually and paperwork rarely fits into a 5 inch binder.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

kallulah

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 02:56 pm »
I find it more useful in to have one book with nothing but script/score and another book with contact sheets, calendars, schedules, production grid, breakdowns, etc.

I've worked with an SM who does that.  Mostly when there was just TOO much information to store in one prompt book, or if the script was basically a 300 page novel. 

I put mine in the back just out of habit but I agree that the script can basically go anywhere.  As long as come showtime you're able to find the things you need from something you organized yourself you can do it however you want. 

There is very little written prompt book etiquette.  Only guidelines. 

Mae

• New to Town
  • "I'm taking the world and you can't have it back"
    • View Profile
    • Linkedin Profile
  • Affiliations: Rutgers University-Mason Gross; IATSE
  • Current Gig: ASM "Everybody Gets Cake" (Parallel Exit)
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #17 on: Jul 04, 2010, 12:28 pm »
I have been passed down the idea of making a prompt book for rehearsal, with all the minutes from production meetings, reports from rehearsals, prop lists, script w/ blocking, ect. Then have a separate binder for the show script w/ cues, run list, performance reports, ect.
It makes the prompt book lighter for the show and less of a hassle to carry it to the booth.
Mae Frankeberger
Freelance SM and Production Coordinator
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist"
Pablo Picaso

riotous