Author Topic: REPORTS: SMing an Equity Actor for the First Time-Report Tips  (Read 3957 times)

Branden

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
First of all, I'm not exactly sure if this fits in this thread or under the discussion of unions, or the paperwork. I posted it here, but feel free to move it if it better fits somewhere else.

I'm approaching my first show Stage Managing an AEA actor. I'm pretty familiar with the operating rules, as far as breaks, safety, and scheduling.

However, I'm curious as to how I should modify the report to represent this. The actors are paid based on stipend, so I don't need to track hours worked, but because AEA only allows so many hours, I'm thinking of including an hour-tracking formula that will calculate hours worked.

Is there any way my reports, or any other paperwork should reflect anything in particular to accommodate this? 

I know it's a silly question, but I wanted to make sure there weren't any obvious things overlooked.

Edited to add topic tag. -Maribeth
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2014, 02:25 pm by Maribeth »
Branden Scott Stewart

"What's next?"
-The West Wing

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
Re: SMing an Equity Actor for the First Time-Report Tips
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2014, 11:03 pm »
I'd check the paperwork archives, many people put in a breaks schedule in their daily rehearsal report. I got into the habit very early on of logging each break on the report with a table and haven't broken myself of it yet, force of habit!
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:56 am »
I'm thinking of including an hour-tracking formula that will calculate hours worked.

I agree with Nomie regarding checking the archives.  Speaking specifically to the formula you mention, I use the below formula for weekly time logs. 

=IF(A1<>"",MROUND((B1-A1)*24,0.25),"")

What this does is it will round you to the nearest quarter hour, where cell A1 contains starting time and B1 contains finishing time.  This will round to the nearest quarter hour; e.g. 9:07am is rounded to 9:00 am, while 9:08 will be rounded up to 9:15.  I am not sure how you'd keep time for AEA actors, but it's likely that you'd need to always round up, e.g. if your rehearsal is 9:00-10:00, and you go over into 10:02, you'd need to round up to a 1/4 hour instead of leaving it at 10:00.  For that, you would use the CEILING function with the formula below.

=IF(A1<>"",CEILING((B1-A1)*24,0.25),"")

If I'm totally missing the mark, ignore my post -  but these are some formulas I use to convert time into 1/4 hour increments, so working for 1:15 becomes 1.25 hours.  Once the time is converted it becomes much easier to manipulate into whatever other math you need to do.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Branden

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:31 pm »
Thanks for the formula!

I've always struggled to figure out If/Then formulas.

Branden Scott Stewart

"What's next?"
-The West Wing

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:51 pm »
Thanks for the formula!

I've always struggled to figure out If/Then formulas.

No worries...  If/then is pretty simple once you figure out the syntax.  =IF(Logical_Test,Value_If_True,Value_If_False). 

A simple example:  =IF(A1=1,"Yes","No").  This would display the text "Yes" if cell A1 had the value 1 and "No" for any other value.  You can get incredibly complex with these as "yes" and "no" are substituted for any formula in Excel or nested if/then statements.

The specific if/then statement below is really just cosmetic.  IF A1<>"" translated to English is "If A1 does not equal blank".. Basically, the MROUND or CEILING function will only execute if there's a value in cell A1. 

The math would still be fine if you just said =MROUND((B1-A1)*24,0.25), but every cell you had the formula in would show "0" if there's no value in column A, so it would look ugly to have a dozen random zeroes on a report.

Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

riotous