Author Topic: SHOWS: Peter Pan  (Read 19992 times)

Katie ~

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Santa Fe College, Gainesville, FL UCF, Orlando, FL Gainesville Community Playhouse, Gainesville, FL
  • Current Gig: University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL BFA Stage Managment Program
  • Experience: College/Graduate
SHOWS: Peter Pan
« on: Mar 10, 2008, 02:56 pm »
What fly system is used for Peter Pan?
I'm interested in learning the system, and finding out how much one would cost.
The theatre I work with is interested in putting on in.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:16 am by PSMKay »

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Peter Pan
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2008, 05:16 pm »

Stuart Plymesser

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://stuartplymesser.com
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager for Syracuse Stage
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2008, 09:09 am »
When we did our production of Peter Pan at Syracuse Stage, we contracted ZFX Flying Effects.  We found them easy to work with and they adapted themselves to our production.  They engineered and executed the flying for Cathy Rigby's Peter Pan as well as other tour and special events like the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.  You can check them out at: http://www.zfxflying.com.
Stuart Plymesser
Production Stage Manager, Syracuse Stage
Adjunct Faculty, Syracuse University - Stage Management Program

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2008, 09:20 am »
ZFX and Foy are typically going to give you one-time use rigs and equipment.  If you're looking to install permanent rigs (or at least purchase equipment - it's not necessarily something you'd want to leave up in your theatre all the time) you may have to look at finding an independent contractor (which foy or ZFX may be able to assist with) who will supervise the purchase of equipment and install.
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2008, 11:45 am »
It may be possible to negotiate long-term leases of Foy or ZFX.  Speaking from experience, many of our ships have "permanent" (permanent is a loose term, and for the purpose of this thread my definition is a rig installed for the length of the lease) Foy rigs installed in the theatres and ice rinks.  I'm not sure how often you'd be looking to use your rig, a "permanent" install is fairly costly and most times is something you'd install only for long running shows.  One potential challenge, aside from cost, with a "permanent" install is that your operators and performers will need to be properly trained and certified.  Also, a rep from these companies will need to come out to do periodic inspections on the rig.  All of this increases your cost and as BalletSPM mentioned below if you're doing one relatively short production then a one time use deal is probably the best. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2008, 12:34 pm »
Just chiming in that I've used both ZFX and Foy to do Peter Pan.  They both do great work, but I give the edge to ZFX.

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2008, 06:46 pm »
Also, with a permanent install, you're restricted to only flying people the way the system was set up for - which would quickly get pretty boring and I suspect you would end up flying people just because you can, rather than because the show really does call for it.  Much better to hire a flying rig that is spec'ed for the show you're doing and tailored to the needs of the show, rather than only being able to fly them in one way.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2008, 08:36 pm »
The better option, if you have the CapEx to spend on something regarding flying people (ie that is a specific wish of the venues) would be to get your fly floor upgraded to allow you to place high point loads wherever you wish - If you have it upgraded to something along the lines of 1/2T point loads anywhere on the grid with 10T UDL, a fly company like Fly by Foy will be able to come in and install a rig with little to no need for installing extra bracing or ground support etc - that will decrease costs significantly.

geoffsm

• Contributor
  • If we could read minds, we wouldn't need headsets.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA (Associate), SAFD (Actor-Combatant)
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2008, 11:05 pm »
Just my 2 cents here, take it with a grain of salt:
My high school just did Peter Pan, and I went back to see it.  the cast told me that the ZFX guys were kinda rude and would only give the understudies 10 minutes each to practice fly (even though they perform for 2 shows so they aren't even understudies in the traditional sense). But I'm sure the company itself is fine, but I guys our guys lacked certain people skills.

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2008, 01:24 am »
My two cents . . .I worked with ZFX on The Witches of Eastwick and I thought they did an exceptional job, specifically with training the operators and the performers.  Brian Owens was the person we worked with, he was great.
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

Sparkzxx

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Tigz Productions
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2008, 12:33 pm »
Hey,

I did Peter Pan last December and we used Foy for it, cost about £1500 in total for a two week hire with three fly lines.

Were great people, easy to install and they trained us up properly about how to do it.

Thomas A. Kelly

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2008, 09:55 am »
FOY!

smalltimeSM

• New to Town
  • "Yea Komakozie Theatre!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2008, 03:07 am »
Give Hall Associates Flying Effects a call.  They are good at what they do, and have right now I think 4 international Peter Pan's running.  As well as a Slew of Pan's in the United States.  www.flyingfx.com  1-888-FLY-HALL  (1-888-359-4255)

Also, if you have a unique show that needs flying they will custom develop a system for your show.  Their DAT flying system has been built to be configurable to over 30 different configurations.  Plus has Shift on the fly capabilities.  If you have any specific questions please message me on SM network or @ crzyrigger@gmail.com

TourSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2008, 11:19 am »
Having worked with both ZFX and FOY, I found ZFX to be slightly better. Their staff was particularly helpful.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2008, 05:51 pm »
One important thing to remember is that every company out there who does human flying (especially Sapsis and ZFX) are all off-shoots of Flying by Foy.  The founders of these companies are Foy trained riggers who left to start their own company.  Foy started it all and there is no company out there more knowledgeable than Foy.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

riotous