Author Topic: SHOWS: Noises Off  (Read 4730 times)

MileHighSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
SHOWS: Noises Off
« on: Mar 30, 2007, 11:05 am »
Has anyone done Noises Off?  I'm SM'ing it this coming fall, and am already thinking about how I can tape out the room for Act Three, when we're using both the front and backstage areas.  Does anyone have a suggestion?
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 12:14 am by PSMKay »

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Production Manager - Mason Gross School of the Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Noises Off
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2007, 11:28 am »
I SM'd Noises this past summer.  If your rehearsal hall is large enough, then you can just tape out one set giving yourself plenty of room in front and in back.  Then have the director (and yourself and your team) flop which side they sit on for act 1 and act 2.  Act three takes place on the act 1 set, and the audience never really sees the backstage part.  I hope that works for you.  It's by far the easiest way to do rehearsals.  that way you don't have to tape out multiple sets.  Good luck with Noises.  It's a beast of a show, but alot of fun.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2007, 12:41 pm »
I've done NOISES OFF 3X- and twice we were able to tape out the entire set in one room- with my staff and the Director switching sides of the room; the other time the studio wasn't large enough so we had to tape Act 1 over Act 2, and in rehearsals for 3 the actor's had to fudge it until we got to stage... not optimum.  :-\

dramabrit58

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2007, 09:24 pm »
I did Noises Off last semester.  I used different color spike tape to differentiate the front and back.  Good luck.  It wasn't taping out that I found hard it was keeping up with the blocking.......
:)

MileHighSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2007, 09:29 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking about the flipping sides thing.  Right now that's our best option...

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2007, 11:45 am »
Any chance of having the theatre for rehearsal?  I know most of the time it's a resounding "no!" from the production team but for a show with as much physical comedy as noises it could be incredibly helpful.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt