Author Topic: SHOWS: How The Other Half Loves  (Read 5724 times)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
SHOWS: How The Other Half Loves
« on: Apr 06, 2010, 11:53 am »
About to start rehearsal - anyone who's done this and has some tricks up their sleeves regarding the food, the massive prop list or just plain ol' surviving the choreo, please share!

Edit added tag to subject line-Rebbe
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2010, 03:54 pm by Rebbe »

ericjames

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
Re: SHOWS: How The Other Half Loves
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2010, 11:23 pm »
I did "Loves" a few summers ago.   Its a very fun but busy show.     The best advice I can give is to keep on top of all the props as much as possible.  We had problems like "where did spatula #4 end up after it was thrown across the room?".   Its just one of those shows were everything needs to be very detailed or it turns into a cluster f*ck very quickly.      We used real soup, and real eggs, but I think that was the only real food we had.   Of course, lots of water all over the stage.   Make sure you keep a mop/ broom handy during tech.

If you have specific questions, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Have fun!

oh.. and try to stay out of the splash zone! 

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2010, 10:43 am »
a further request - to any of our British members - the official acting edition here has been updated and includes americanized references - and we are trying to revert to the original British if we can - so if someone has an older, UK copy please PM me and help us!

thank you

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2010, 08:23 pm »
I've never done that show, but I'm working on Joking Apart right now and oh MAN Acykbourn writes some specific blocking. We have an entire tennis match going on- half onstage, half off. Good luck!
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2010, 01:30 pm »
yeah blocking notes are insane - and sometimes missing key elements (she puts the cup down - when the heck did she pick it up?)

to our wonderful UK friends - I was able to track down the one sole British copy in the LA Library system and borrow it for a short term. HURRAY - thank you so much for your assistance in the meantime!

Jason2025

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 04:33 pm »
Oh, this is a fun show if done well! I was ASM on this many years ago, and while I don't have any specific advice, one gag I remember that worked well was a part where one character hands the another a dirty diaper and our props person put a huge dab of peanut butter in it. I don't remember if that blocking was in the script, but something to think about if it is :)

J\

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 07:00 pm »
our prop person was brilliant on this show - one frustration was that our actors insisted on real food for the WHOLE breakfast and Foster dinner, so we had to invent stuff (thank goodness we live in CA where avocados are plentiful and not exorbitant!)

but a total prop nightmare! wish I'd had an ASM on it - and for future ref, if anyone is doing the show, insist on it!