Author Topic: SCENERY: Let it snow! onstage  (Read 4659 times)

ashadeofbrown

• New to Town
    • View Profile
SCENERY: Let it snow! onstage
« on: May 10, 2007, 11:01 pm »
Hello-

For a production of "Barefoot in the Park" there is a snow scene. We put some clear tubing (after shifting some removable ceiling tiles) so that a crew member can blow into it and thus blow the snow onto the stage (we only need a little bit). However, we haven't been able to capture "snow," the lighting being blue lights. Potato flakes don't fall right, the glittered up white confetti (although it just looked like glitter) couldn't be seen, paper can't be seen although it floats well (the paper had to be ripped into very small pieces to fit in the tubing without blocking it). Any ideas?
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 12:24 am by PSMKay »
Curiosity killed the cat and satisfaction brought it back.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Let it snow! onstage
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 11:23 pm »
I'd suggest a snow fx machine.  They shoot out fake snow that looks very realistic.  They can leave a residue onstage that can prove slippery, so be careful what you use it for.  We use them on our ships around christmas, passengers love to see it snow in the caribbean.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 12:09 am »
We use the commercial plastic fake snow.  It comes in different sizes, so you can probably find one that's fine enough to work in your tubing apparatus. 

To get the things like potato flakes to look right you need to use a fan.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 10:08 am »
We use the fx machine's for Nutcracker overthe audience- it's great!

For this show it sounds like you need the plastic stuff- we use it over stage for Nutcracker Snow Scene.

It essentially looks like ripped up white plastic grocery bags- but it's not. And I can't remember who provides it to us... I'll look into it and post again later

It looks great under blue light- but I always find myself using much more than I originally expect.

Is there a ballet company in your town? Ask them what they use for Nutcracker Snow Scene, and then see if they'll sell/loan/give you a bag.

ashadeofbrown

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 10:23 am »
Thanks everyone!

We ended up using a larger tube and some styrofoam bits, after some of the cast made fun of me for being on a stage management network. Oh, actors.

But it was fun. There is never a polite way to say "can you blow that for me?"
Curiosity killed the cat and satisfaction brought it back.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 11:48 pm »
To light snow you should put lights on very high booms or tail downs.  Light it high and from the side in a color that slightly contrasts your background.  This hopefully will give you better visibility and therefor more flexibility in what you have to use for the snow.

riotous