Author Topic: SCENERY: Furniture  (Read 5018 times)

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
SCENERY: Furniture
« on: Nov 01, 2007, 12:43 am »
(I'm not sure where to put this, mods, feel free to move...)

Who, ultimately, is responsible for furniture in a show?  Is it the props master or the set designer?

I am in college right now and keep getting different answers from professionals in the department.  I'd like to know who's in charge in the professional world so that I can impart this knowledge to my props master and set designer on an undergrad level...neither of whom thinks it is their job (so no one is doing it!).

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 01:23 am by PSMKay »

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Furniture
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2007, 01:42 am »
Ultimate Responsibility to Provide Physical Item- Props Masters
Ultimate Aesthetic Decision- Set Designers

Of course Directors often get a pretty strong voice in the matter too.

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2007, 01:52 am »
My experience has been that it depends on the theatre.  Usually it is a collaboration between the props master and the set designer.  The set designer is ultimately guides the whole look: scenery, furniture, paint treatments, etc,. The props master will frequently be the one to shop or procure the furniture, but it is after talking through with the designer about what they are looking for(who in turn is in communication with the director).

At the theatre I work at now, it's a little more complicated.  Our props master is billed as the Resident Props Designer, and as such, he does a lot more than just pull and shop things.  He usually designs the set dressing, and is known to be incredible, so he has a lot more autonomy than is frequently seen. 

In terms of imparting this to the undergrad level where both parties are trying to get out of it, I think you should make your set designer understand that ultimately furniture contributes to the full look they are trying to accomplish, and they should take an active interest in making sure everything is cohesive.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2007, 05:45 am »
It depends on the circumstances - that is my intial thought. The sets and props are two parts of a whole as I see it, so I believe that the two should work as closely with each other as possible - even so far as to say that Props Master should work almost as a subordinate to the set designer.

nmno

« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2007, 11:09 am »
I am in college right now and keep getting different answers from professionals in the department. 

I guess my bigger concern is that the "professionals" in your department can't seem to give you a straight answer... 
At the LORT theatres I've worked at, the scenic designer is ultimately in charge of the LOOK of any props. S/he provides sketches, dimensions, designs, research etc to assist the prop master in PROCURING (building or purchasing) props including furniture.  Depending on the relationship, the prop master may be given leeway to give more artistic input (somewhat like the SM's relationship with the director can guide the amount of artistic input you provide). 
Often, our scenic designers will go shopping with the props master to select tables, chairs, desks, curtains, pictures, vases and other set dressing but the procuring of the props is ultimately the prop master's job as are any or repairs/replacements that need to be done thru the run. 

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2007, 08:50 am »
I think nmno's response pretty much sums it up. Except, I don't think there really is a "straight answer" - each company and each show is different. The way props are integrated with the set is true. But when you get down to the fine points (where does it go on the pre-show checklist? which IATSE crew handles the item?), what seemed clear can become confusing.

I have run into this question on plenty of shows at all levels of theatre production (academic and community right up through large professional houses). Sometimes the lines are clear enough for most of the show, until you finish load-in and realize that the props master thought the set designer was handling, say, the wall dressing (pictures, curtains, etc) and the set designer thought the props master was on top of that. The other side of the spectrum has happened when there is a huge prop - like, say, a car or big wagon - that needs to be engineered and built along with the set. But is it a set piece or a prop? Ultimately, to me and the teams I have worked with, it doesn't matter how you categorize it, as long as someone is identified as the person responsible for each item. A good production manager will see these issues miles away and communicate it all to you so these questions are under control well in advance. Like with so many parts of our job, the trick is thinking ahead and communicating clearly across the whole production team.

LiLz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Boundless Journey
  • Affiliations: AEA, USITT
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2007, 11:33 pm »
The set designers I've worked with with have wanted to be very hands on regarding the selection of furniture.  After all, that's the look of their set!  I'm joining everyone who's confused that you're having these problems in the first place.  The bottom line, I suppose, is that the Props Master is in charge of gathering all props, regardless of their size or purpose.  It's rotten that you're stuck in this situation, though - hang in there!

riotous