Author Topic: SAFETY: First Aid: what do you do when the skin is gone?  (Read 4893 times)

jkjiricek

• New to Town
  • 1COR16:13 everything in love
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
I'm in a rather interesting/sticky situation. One of my dancers (poor girl!) has worn the skin off of the balls of her feet, exposing the suprersensitive baby skin underneath. she can only put the smallest amount of pressure on her feet which makes walking a challenge and dancing next to impossible. any suggestions for a speedy recovery?
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2009, 01:30 am by Rebbe »
In short, a Stage Manager is an artist, parent, friend, confidant, nurse, drill sergeant and cheerleader.

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: First Aid: what do you do when the skin is gone?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2009, 03:57 pm »
Is she dancing barefoot or with shoes?
Although it will be one of the more painful experiences of her life for about 30 seconds, a liquid-bandage product (like New-skin) will help seal the skin and create a protective layer over the area.  It comes in brush on and spray.   It stings pretty bad on raw skin for a few seconds, but works pretty well, and still lets the skin breath so it can heal.  I used it for years as a dancer with pretty good results.
If she is wearing shoes, there is a type of sports tape that is padded but only sticks to itself (I can't remember the name) that she could wrap around that part of her foot, and then put her shoes on.  It shouldn't stick to the skin, so she would probably be able to tolerate it.

Hope this helps!  (Ouch!!)
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2009, 05:21 pm »
Yikes, that sounds so painful!

It will heal the fastest if she just stays off her feet (literally!) for a little while.  Is there any way she can take a couple of days off? 

I know that's not ideal, but the more pressure she puts on that tender area (even if it's wrapped or bandaged), the more it will impede the new skin that's growing.

If that's not possible, Scooter's suggestions sound like they'd help!

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2009, 05:45 pm »
Seconded on the newskin treatment.  It will indeed sting like hell, but it will create a protective layer for the healing process.  We used it on our hands in HS on the gymnastics team.

Was the dancer using new shoes or a worn out pair perhaps?  I don't think there's anything to do to speed the healing, but any ideas for preventative measures in the future?

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2009, 07:37 pm »
Just thirding the newskin, which I also used in gymnastics. Ouch, though. It hurts no matter what.

jkjiricek

• New to Town
  • 1COR16:13 everything in love
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2009, 11:20 pm »
Thanks a heap for the newskin idea, everybody! I'll grab a bit just as soon as i possibly can! :) Now the girl is supposed to be barefoot, yes, but i have heard tell of a kind of super elastic, thick sock that can be worn over the first half of the foot. If I can find a pair we might use these as long as they even somewhat match her skin. Anyone else heard of or seen these, or am i just crazy?  :P If so, any recommendations as to where i could snag a pair?
thanks again!
In short, a Stage Manager is an artist, parent, friend, confidant, nurse, drill sergeant and cheerleader.

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2009, 12:04 am »
Try www.discountdance.com.  They are called footeez or dance paws.
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile

riotous