Author Topic: RUNNING: Costuming the Crew  (Read 10198 times)

sarahbear42

• Contributor
    • View Profile
RUNNING: Costuming the Crew
« on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:39 am »
So I'm on the running crew next month at the local LORT theatre, and just got a call yesterday that the costume shop needs me to come in for a fitting, because the crew is going to be in costume. This of course has me ridiculously excited (it's Mrs. Warren's Profession, so I'm assuming I get to dress up Victorian every night, and since I'm a history/Renfest geek when outside the theatre, this makes me very happy!)

It got me thinking though-- while this is the first time I've worked on a show that's actually done the costumed-crew thing, I've had a few shows I SM'd where it was either discussed and dismissed, or discussed as having been a part of a previous production of the show I was working on.

So far, I've run into three viewpoints on costuming the crew-- "Yay that's so cool," usually coming from those who would be costumed; "No" with an eye toward the cost and concern for the extra load on the costume shop; and "No" with the view that it's silly and therefore unprofessional and is just a way for the crew to goof off.

Personally I think it's great when productions do this, not just because this time I get to wear it and that makes me geek out, but also because I hate it when you see the crew onstage at all, I feel like it ruins some of the magic to see guys in black and be reminded that this thing or that thing is a prop, that that wall is really just some plywood on wheels, etc, and so having Victorian maids or whatever move everything feels a lot more in the spirit of theatre.

What's everyone else's thoughts? I tried to find a thread on this and couldn't find anything (though, putting the words "costume" and "crew" in the search box on this forum makes for a lot to sift through!)
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:39 am by PSMKay »

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: Costuming the Crew
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:16 am »
Speaking as an audience member, I agree that seeing the crew on stage in black sometimes distracts from the enjoyment of the show. Speaking as a crew person, I can see how sometimes there may be safety concerns with costumes getting caught up in set pieces or otherwise becoming a hindrance to scene changes. For my current show of Pippin, we're having the Players be the crew for changing/moving set pieces. But for a show like Pippin, that works just fine.

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2008, 11:00 am »
A few years back, I was part of a crew for "Gypsy."  Because the set shifts were minimal and they wanted the show to flow between scenes, we were all costumed. It was great. People in the audience couldn't tell that it was crew onstage.   I've seen and done shows where it's obvious crew members are crew members...but in costume, but this show was one where we blended in intentionally.

It was a very cool experience and idea.  I am not opposed to it at all, if it fits the needs of the show.
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2008, 12:28 pm »
I think it's definitely a show-by-show thing.  I've done both blacks and costumes as a crew member, and had good and bad experiences with both.  We did a production of Candide where they dressed all the girls on the crew up in grey tights and leotards with giant wicker horsehead masks and feather boas that trailed from the back of the masks and attached to our butts.  We were supposed to be sea horses, and we waved a giant blue sheet to represent the sea.  I have never felt more ridiculous and less capable of doing my job in my life!
But, I have to (reluctantly) admit, blacks just wouldn't have worked in that situation.

Since I'm now working in a theatre with no main rag, the disucssion comes up every show.  Last show took place during a concert, so not only were we in blacks, but encouraged to wander about the stage after house open, mess with cables, discuss props, sweep, etc.  Current show, being a snarky Christmas show, I've got my crew in blacks backstage, but if they're ever come on stage, they're to wear some sort of "seasonal accessory."  It works.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2008, 03:15 pm »
I've seen problems when the crew member in question doesn't fit into the milieu; the best show carp in town had multi-colored dreadlocks, both tall and long, and he was doing a vista scene shifts in a 1930's period piece a friend of mine was working on.  The director of that piece said that he was "ruining her show".

I would have said, if you want an actor, you should have hired an actor.  The personal appearance of a crew member should have nothing to do with their hiring, in my opinion.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

shorty

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:10 pm »
i've worked on a show where the director (as i recall the director who made this decision) where the crew were costumed and were given a couple lines here or there to help move things that were onstage to offstage and vice-versa.  it was a crew of 3, 2 were actors that had to do crew to recieve college credit and the other was a sound major (he was a very good sport about having to wear a costume). the set changes were smooth and the audience seemed somewhat clueless about the whole scene change.  the other shows i've worked on all of the scene changes that needed to be done were done behind the curtain or preset and the set couldn't be changed except moving a couple furniture pieces.  so in other words, it is a show by show scenario.
*o*
Sarah

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2008, 11:39 pm »
I've had a wide variety of costumes I've had to wear to crew shows.  The most common is some form of knickers or a big peacoat and a newsies cap (usually for Christmas Carol), but I've also had a full length Victorian nurse costume to for scene shifts during The Elephant Man.  My big problem with having the crew in costume is that often the director doesn't want to see headsets either.  A lot of the time you're doing something small, and it doesn't really matter, but there are also times where staying in communication is important and keeping the headset is a battle that must be won.

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2008, 09:09 am »
I have had to wear costumes as a crew member before, and I don't really see many problems with it.  Like people have said, it could interfere with crew duties, but as long as the crew is responsible and well versed then there shouldn't be problems.

On thing I hear a lot is "why are ninjas stealing all the furniture?" when the crew is in all blacks. Crew in black can detere from a show and I believe one of the great things about theatre is the mystique and magic of scene changes.  If you can make a set change by having a crowd of costumed characters walk onstage, and by the time they are off we are in an entirely different location, the audience is going to love it.  Ultimately, it's about the audience.

If the gig is for something other than theatre, like tempest_gypsy mentioned, like a concert or music show, then why not blacks?  When crew are backstage and don't come on, blacks all the way.

chops

• Contributor
  • My tie got caught in an arbor today
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2008, 05:54 pm »
Personally I have no problem wearing a costume on stage.  However I have seen a few crews who would ask for a performance premium if they are to be dressed up in a costume and asked to participate on stage other than moving things on and off.  I have even seen it in a couple of contracts where it is stipulated that crew recieves performance pay on top of their normal show pay to be in costume.  On the other hand I'm about to hop into an easter bunny costume and dance around in the wings for the amusement of the cast members who are on stage during a very boring part of our christmass show. 
Peace,

Chops

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2008, 10:03 pm »
I've been costumed a couple of times - we did Poe's Tales of Mystery and Imagination at drama school, and as the SM/operator I was very visible so was costumed up - and I loved it.  I was also in a maid's outfit as an ASM for A Little Night Music, and I hated it!  Currently I'm doing La Cage Aux Folles and my ASM is in drag and full drag makeup - he's very visible for a lot of scene changes which the cast are helping out with, so we figured it was better for him to look like one of them.  Luckily, he has no problem with it, and is able to walk silently in high heels!  It works extremely well for us, and people don't realise he's an ASM and not just another Cagelle.  I don't think it's necessary all the time, but sometimes it has to be done.

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:35 pm »
It also depends on the style of play the director is going for, whether they want it to be theatrical, semi-representational, romantic, etc. In my opinion the object of having a crew is to make the show flow smoothly. If you and the director can find a way to do it in blacks then that's good, but if it demands costume then that's waht it should be.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2008, 02:52 pm »
My BF (a carpenter) is on a tour where he is costumed.  He loves it.  He doesn't have to worry about having clean show blacks and if he's out and about before a show, he doesn't have to worry about going back to the hotel before heading to the theatre.  I think he's one of the few on the tour that feel this way, though.

Personally, I always prefer shows that don't have crew do set changes at all; I love it when everything is organic to the play and the actors are able to handle everything (if it has to be done a vista). 

Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2008, 10:33 am »
Years ago I was ASM on Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and backstage crew had to appear in costume. Because I had to climb in and out of traps, I requsted that I had a male costume. I felt that it would look silly to see a woman in a dress climbing out of a trap.
Having crew in costume was a good way to keep the play going instead of having countless backouts and scene changes.
I saw a production of "A Christmas Carol" where the crew was on stage striking furniture in their blacks. It wasn't a blackout, and it was distracting.

smccain

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Stage Managing Life
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: I am the PSM for Theatreworks USA's national tour of Charlotte's Web.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2008, 03:25 pm »
I worked at a theatre while one of the shows required the crew to wear costumes. We had a technician who refused to wear the tights and it took a strong talking to by the stage manager to get her to finally put them on. She fought it as hard as she could. I was just frustrating for everyone to have someone so against crew costumes.
Sean

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:21 pm »
I was just frustrating for everyone to have someone so against crew costumes.

Well hey, that'll happen sometimes in these circumstances.  A lot of folks that work backstage are there for a reason and many like going unnoticed!  ;D

I can certainly see how it could be frustrating from an SM's point of view, but anytime you decide to costume the crew I think you've got to be prepared for this.

I was costumed once as an ASM.  My costume was distressed dickies coveralls (greased up car mechanic).  The only time I've actually heard costume designers and wardrobe folks encourage us to eat in costume!  Don't hear that one too often.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

riotous