Author Topic: REPORTS: Numbering after Canceled Performance  (Read 4837 times)

BenTheStageMan

• Contributor
  • Sometimes all you need in life is a little Blue.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Olney Theatre Center, Olney MD
  • Experience: Professional
REPORTS: Numbering after Canceled Performance
« on: Sep 23, 2016, 03:24 pm »
Hello all,

Here's a fun question for you: When a performance is canceled, do you skip that performance's number OR do you pick up where you left off for the next performance (assuming you put performance numbers on reports).  For example, performances originally scheduled as #5 and #6 have been canceled due to illness in the cast.  Is the first performance back #5, as it is the 5th performance, or is it #7, as originally announced on the weekly schedule and production calendar?

In this case, production management has advised me to do whichever makes sense to me.  They did suggest if I want to skip the numbers of the canceled shows, I should create reports with those numbers which indicate the performance was canceled.  But, they're also on the side of ignoring the numbers on the production calendar and picking up where we left off,  as we're likely adding shows down the line and it might not be the best to have to have Performance #37.1 or something just to match the calendar (which ProdMgmt created and numbered, not me).

I know this is splitting hairs, but it's something my overly-concrete mind is mulling over.  Which would you do, and why?
"Show people are doomed!  Doomed to a life of booze...and pills...and heavy meals late at night!" -Judy, "Ruthless!"

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Former SM
Re: REPORTS: Numbering after Canceled Performance
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2016, 04:44 pm »
Do actual performance numbers in reports. If it makes you feel better, reissue the calendar with adjusted numbers. It sucks that this happened so early in the run, but that's the magic of live theatre :)

Have you checked in with house management? The production manager may not care what the decision is, but if there is a separate house management report, you probably want to make sure you align with them.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2016, 08:55 am »
I think the key to your post is "...just to match the calendar (which ProdMgmt created and numbered, not me)." If the PM created the calendar, I'd stick to the numbering s/he created and include in Perf. #15 that "Perf. #14 was cancelled."

I don't number performances on the calendars I create, so I'd skip the cancelled performance and use the next sequential number for the the next actual performance.

I'm not sure there's a wrong answer here, however.  To me this is a matter of "pick one, and move on."

Hello all,

Here's a fun question for you: When a performance is canceled, do you skip that performance's number OR do you pick up where you left off for the next performance (assuming you put performance numbers on reports).  For example, performances originally scheduled as #5 and #6 have been canceled due to illness in the cast.  Is the first performance back #5, as it is the 5th performance, or is it #7, as originally announced on the weekly schedule and production calendar?

In this case, production management has advised me to do whichever makes sense to me.  They did suggest if I want to skip the numbers of the canceled shows, I should create reports with those numbers which indicate the performance was canceled.  But, they're also on the side of ignoring the numbers on the production calendar and picking up where we left off,  as we're likely adding shows down the line and it might not be the best to have to have Performance #37.1 or something just to match the calendar (which ProdMgmt created and numbered, not me).

I know this is splitting hairs, but it's something my overly-concrete mind is mulling over.  Which would you do, and why?
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2016, 09:35 am »
If the curtain never went up, there wasn't a performance.  It's not a big deal for folks to adjust performance numbers on their calendars, it's five minutes worth of work.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

EFMcMullen

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2016, 12:52 pm »
I tend to stick to the numbering. Creating a blank performance report that reads cancelled.  Mostly this is because, I have worked for theater companies that code the performances to track data and have been asked that the Performance Reports match so they can track trends.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2016, 05:44 pm »
my two cents - kill the number performance #15 was canceled.

Maybe easier to reference it in the future . . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous